View Poll Results: Would you prefer the moderators' names be anonymous?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 37.50%
  • No

15 62.50%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for new or additional moderators

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Suggestion for new or additional moderators

Rather than just complain about the current state of affairs on OOD, I was thinking of a way to do things going forward that might be more constructive.

What if we nominated and elected moderators rather than having moderators appointed by OOD? Administration could set up a thread for members to nominate other members to be mods, nominated members could indicate their interest after the nomination period is over and accept or reject the nomination. If you have more than one nominated and interested member, you could run an election by PM or something to elect new mod(s).

I realize that interest in moderating has been low and it's a big and thankless job for one person to do. This could bolster interest in moderating if members see that other members would support them if they decided to take the position. It would also present a more balanced platform if moderating wasn't the job of just one.

In the end, if we were to have issues with the moderating on the forum, we were ultimately responsible for electing them.

I have a few names in mind to put forward as nominees if this is something OOD would be interested in trying.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I think that would be a bad idea, there is already a faction on here who truly believe that their choice of political party rein's supreme and they believe they and they alone represent the collective opinions of hunters and fisherpersons in Ontario. This is in spite of what the recent elections have revealed about our membership on here and their voting trends. If this faction could continue to highjack this forum by voting in moderators of their own ilk we would have a dictatorship on here and dissenting voices would be drowned out and even more members who have been bullied and have left already this would continue.

No I do not want to be invited into an organizations domain and then require them to go along with my demand's its just not right.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

X2..................................
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Your opinions are appreciated.

Keep in mind the idea is to nominate people with balanced views, maybe even people who haven't been on here long enough to form opinions of others. While many of us are vocal, there is a silent majority who would have a vote.

I do get your points and see that is where the potential flaw would be.

You are both concerned about bias, and that's what needs to be cut out.

"where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    Your opinions are appreciated.

Keep in mind the idea is to nominate people with balanced views, maybe even people who haven't been on here long enough to form opinions of others. While many of us are vocal, there is a silent majority who would have a vote.

I do get your points and see that is where the potential flaw would be.

You are both concerned about bias, and that's what needs to be cut out.

Much appreciated.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Make me a mod. I will implement a rule that you have to make 5 hunting/fishing related threads before you can make one off topic post. I'll ban anyone who does other wise lol. (Kidding, don't need another job)

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I like you thinking GW 11..our forum, our candidate selection to be vetted by the ADMIN.

A simple way to make it better: Make Mods incognito...give them their own Mod account and Avatar and not piggyback on their member's account.

That way they can still participate in the discussions without the 'Big Red' letters telling the world they really are ''not like the others" This will also protect them from being accused of bias or favoritism due to their past history on the forum.

Keep their identity anynmous, and ensure they answer only to the Admin.

Easy peasy !!

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

One little correction to your post Mikepal, this is "their" forum, not ours. We use it with their permission under their rules or we take our ball and go play somewhere else.
    John

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnjyb View Post
    One little correction to your post Mikepal, this is "their" forum, not ours.
    A forum only exists if there is a membership, the people who contribute to it...no members no forum.

OOD hosts and administrates the forums server space, in exchange for headaches, verbal abuse, and having to babysit old men who like to argue....and of course some advertising space.

Clarification: OOD owns the servers and s/w that is the backbone of the forum. However the content of the forum , it's heart and soul as it were, belongs to the membership. I believe that is why OOD has asked that the Moderators be volunteers taken from the membership to police the forum to enforce their rules and moderate the content.
    Last edited by MikePal; October 9th, 2021 at 08:50 AM.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Agree with everything there, but the wife says she never argues, it is called debating lol.
    John

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast