View Poll Results: Do you want to get rid of the off-topic section?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    12 24.00%
  • No

    38 76.00%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Do you want to get rid of the off-topic section?

  1. #31
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Absolutely not.

    The moderation of this site is not sufficient enough to police the garbage that would appear throughout the forum if the OT forum disappeared.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #32
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    Absolutely not.

    The moderation of this site is not sufficient enough to police the garbage that would appear throughout the forum if the OT forum disappeared.
    You mean like some of the garbage that goes on when we have an Off Topic forum ?
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  4. #33
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    You mean like some of the garbage that goes on when we have an Off Topic forum ?
    Yes. The moderating on this site is lacking. Our current mods are great, theres just not enough of them.

    I moderate another forum and the direction from the admins there is to use an iron fist. This forum drives me nuts with the way its run sometimes. Duplicate threads when theres literally the same topic right below it, stuff in the wrong section, OT garbage where it doesnt belong etc

  5. #34
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Mod is a really tough job because its a balancing act between letting people speak their mind and censorship. Even though I'm well aware of the valid arguments for and against, one thing I have experienced here is that the more you moderate (censor) threads, the less the overall participation in the site is. The exact same thing can be said for letting a topic go full bore. Some members can easily become intimidated by others on a thread and they too will stop posting.

  6. #35
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    And that's not a Blow Up GW..she's the real thing

    Well directly hunting related.....an OT thing..
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

  7. #36
    Administrator

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    Mod is a really tough job because its a balancing act between letting people speak their mind and censorship. Even though I'm well aware of the valid arguments for and against, one thing I have experienced here is that the more you moderate (censor) threads, the less the overall participation in the site is. The exact same thing can be said for letting a topic go full bore. Some members can easily become intimidated by others on a thread and they too will stop posting.
    Too true, Sawbill, as you well know. We don't want to get to the point where we're policing and deterring people from participating, but I'd also like to remind everyone that this is Your Community Forum. If you see something that doesn't jive well with you, flag it with your comments to make the moderators and admins aware. We're all responsible for making the Forum the place we want it to be; let's shape it together.

    You folks are awesome.

  8. #37
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeghanOOD View Post
    Too true, Sawbill, as you well know. We don't want to get to the point where we're policing and deterring people from participating, but I'd also like to remind everyone that this is Your Community Forum. If you see something that doesn't jive well with you, flag it with your comments to make the moderators and admins aware. We're all responsible for making the Forum the place we want it to be; let's shape it together.

    You folks are awesome.
    "Like" x2agree
    Other sites Im on some of the mods are the ones stirring the pot then lock up the thread when it goes south, some are straight up bullies. Moderating can be difficult in that there is a juggling act mentioned above and its nice to see a mod on here taking an unbiased approach.

    That being said I do believe there should be areas for open discussion for off topics and some of those areas may not get as much moderating as the hunting and fishing areas for good reason. Its some of the "extra stuff" that sets some forums apart from others, and people need to remember to be polite and courteous, all the while allowing others to voice their opinion and contradict others for open and engaging conversation but by no means should there be blame and finger pointing and shaming, thats what drives people away IMO.

    I believe the hunting and fishing "reports" should be kept free of debates and finger pointing. This drove me away for a while when I harvested a deer with my dad, our first successful hunt together just to have a couple knowitalls try and call me out on what they believe happened in my hunt and tried painting a different version of events for whatever they thought their gain was to take away from my happiness and success. I was upset and left for a while, each time coming back saw the same things so it kept me away, had to "defend" some of my success reports...silly. But, I feel OOD shouldn't be judged on the actions of a few people that bothered me. So I am trying to rehabilitate myself within this forum. Some of the long-standing members here just seem to dominate EVERY thread and thats a huge turn-off. Its ok to have an opinion but its nice to have autonomy as well and variety of answers. Some of the regulars are too objective about ideas or opinions when they should remember they are equal to all members and everyone's input is valuable. Tenure does not excuse this behaviour IMO.
    Last edited by Deer Wrastler; July 29th, 2020 at 12:23 PM.

  9. #38
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Where would the group have this discussion? Hunting, fishing, boat marina? No. Off topic.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #39
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goosesniper View Post
    Where would the group have this discussion? Hunting, fishing, boat marina? No. Off topic.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I agree with you. we don't need Off Topic.

  11. #40
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Leave it be. It is a place to go if one wishes to discuss non-outdoors subjects. If a member doesnt want to engage, then they just stay out of the section. There are a few sections I have never set foot in, I am not calling for their removal. If certain members get out of hand in the off-topic, deal with them accordingly.
    Learn all you can about nature. What we don't understand, we fear and what we fear, we destroy.
    Teach a young person to hunt and fish, after all, someone taught you.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •