View Poll Results: Do you want to get rid of the off-topic section?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 27.78%
  • No

39 72.22%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you want to get rid of the off-topic section?

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

What good is having a off topic section if you're not allowed to post off topic subjects on it. The powers that be here have slapped me on the pp and banished me from the off topic section lol for how long that remains to be seen as I have sent a pm to the administration and have received no response. So to all that read this before they delete it don't make any snow flakes melt or you'll be banished to.
    Cheers
    Tigboy304
    Last edited by Tigboy 304; January 30th, 2021 at 12:03 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Just take it off-while some have a good point : no one needs to go there ,many do anyway. Because they like the forum-and they want to be on it once in a while .Then there is nothing happening in any other area....so may go there. It becomes a point of major disagreements-which reflects back to the whole forum.
    Removing it will take away many dissatisfaction, and will make focus of real Hunt/Wish.
    Then moderate politics and BS out from them .
    Simple.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    Just take it off-while some have a good point : no one needs to go there ,many do anyway. Because they like the forum-and they want to be on it once in a while .Then there is nothing happening in any other area....so may go there. It becomes a point of major disagreements-which reflects back to the whole forum.
    Removing it will take away many dissatisfaction, and will make focus of real Hunt/Wish.
    Then moderate politics and BS out from them .
    Simple.
    Not that simple at all. Take away the "off topic" section and you will be able to watch politics spill over on to every other part of the site. Disagreements are a natural part of life, we are humans. A photo of a deer won't get us all holding hands (figuratively due to covid, of course) chanting koombaya.

The off topic section is not visible to non members and should a member not wish to see the ongoing in that section, don't look at it. Its really not that hard to look away, getting upset about words you don't see would be a difficult task.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Could not even keep politics out of the fishing thread, when a guy wanted to talk about painted spoons. Was politicized.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Take a look on CGN..for all the Forum categories and discussion groups..what are the Top 5 forums :

The Top... with 1.2 million posts..Off Topic
    2nd...with 1 million post...Firearm Politics.

3rd... with 738K posts...CGN news Digest (articles)
    4th...with 647K posts...Pistols..
    5th...with 637L posts...Hunting and Sporting Arms.

The rest drop off fast...

It's obvious even on CGN ....Guys like to talk about things other than Gun/Hunting.

Don't want to read or participate in Off Topic.......ignore the 'train wreck topics' posted on the 'Todays Post' or 'Activity Stream' trailers.
    Last edited by MikePal; January 30th, 2021 at 10:12 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    Not that simple at all. Take away the "off topic" section and you will be able to watch politics spill over on to every other part of the site.
    That's specifically why CalTek created it...to clean up the forum he moved the political based threads to it rather than delete them.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Out of curiosity..the OOD top 5 forums;

Hunting 101: 52K threads
    FireArms: 40K threads
    Big Game: 38K threads
    Off Topic: 33K threads
    Water Fowl: 19K threads

Member for Life

User Info Menu

An observation. There are 4 threads, about and related to the topic. Two of which I read with some amusement when I came back after walking away. Some things never change

1) Started July 27th.......This thread, which has received some more replies in the past couple days.
    2) Started October 15th
    3) Started on Dec 23rd
    4) Started January 19th

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    That's specifically why CalTek created it...to clean up the forum he moved the political based threads to it rather than delete them.
    And it works!
    Of course thing might get a little heated from time to time, I don't know what else one would expect with a group of real people that have minds of their own. This isn't a group of mindless drones bumbling through their day.

I guess it will only be a matter of time before the offended "cancel culture" folks push for reform to their standards.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Keep OT .... if ❄ dont like it then dont read it ��