Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ramp Rates for local and non-locals at Port of Orillia

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Ramp Rates for local and non-locals at Port of Orillia

Brian McCrostie took this photo of a sign near the Port of Orillia, near Couchiching Beach Park, showing rates for the use by locals and non-locals. How do you feel about charging visitors to use facilities? Share your thoughts here.
    Town of Orillia Ramp.jpg

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not happy about it at all.......... This is total BS.............. A form of price gouging which if it is not, should be illegal...........
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If they've posted a public launch,it's illegal. If it's private property,they can charge whatever they want. I have no doubt that this conduct will,at some point,come back to bite them on the arse.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Hey Trimmer, the launch discussed is operated by the Town of Orillia. An updated list of open ramps can be found here: https://www.ofah.org/covid19closures/

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

This is how Georgina Township operates ramps and beaches, without the gouging I believe it's only $20 to park for the day including ramp/ beach use.(free to residents). The fee is to help cover the cost of the facilities provided which includes decent washrooms and garbage disposal. I think gouging $100 to access any public land is ridiculous.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I'm sure residents of Orillia visit the the gta on a daily basis for employment or goods and services without being targeted. I can understand safety measures like masks , distancing, limiting numbers on beaches etc. Targeted price gouging is unprincipled. I suppose their new tourism strategy is your welcome as long as you have lots of money and are willing to be fleeced.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Barrie is the same , they say it is to deter the outta towners. They don't want the over crowd of people gathering all over the beaches. I live on simcoe the east side and traffic has still been extremely heavy every since the beginning every weekend.

I am enjoying the quiet beaches all over northern Ontario right now ,not like back at home . Left Monday have enjoyed 3 different lakes have 2 more to go in kakabeka now superior tomorrow [emoji106]..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fishfood; July 30th, 2020 at 10:15 PM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    Barrie is the same , they say it is to deter the outta towners. They don't want the over crowd of people gathering all over the beaches. I live on simcoe the east side and traffic has still been extremely heavy every since the beginning every weekend.

I am enjoying the quiet beaches all over northern Ontario right now ,not like back at home . Left Monday have enjoyed 3 different lakes have 2 more to go in kakabeka now superior tomorrow [emoji106]..

Sounds peaceful and incredible. Just curious, how would you say the traffic you're seeing compares to a regular summer?

Surely these beaches and ramps had overcrowding at peak times before covid 19, just maybe not to the same extent?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Lyle View Post
    Sounds peaceful and incredible. Just curious, how would you say the traffic you're seeing compares to a regular summer?

Surely these beaches and ramps had overcrowding at peak times before covid 19, just maybe not to the same extent?
    In my area I'd say the ramp traffic is double what I would normally see but I believe that might be linked to the beach closures because driving past the vacant beaches you can see what looks like hundreds of watercraft of all types and sizes anchored just offshore. Typically our beaches are very crowded all summer I almost never use them even though resident's pass gives free access. Rather take my boat to a nice spot for a swim.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Lyle View Post

Most of the beaches were closed until a few weeks ago some opened in stage 2 . The beaches on the east side were still closed last week the were thinking of opening up one of them as a test in york region. Beaverton opened theirs but again residents only.

We live on lake ridge rd and 48 every long weekend traffic is stopped a few kms away from the lights. This year some weekends looks like long weekends. Many people were still out and about on the weekends so bad we still avoid going out on the weekends. We see all the traffic 48 heading north every weekend. Sibalds has been a right off every weekend so bad traffic is backed up 48 cops are shutting the rd down several times a day on the weekends.

Being so close to the city it gets very busy. Have learned over the years to head south on Friday and north on Sunday if not your just mixed in with the city traffic bumper to bumper.

It's getting busy now even in wawa lol. In 20 deep in line to get in to value mart for some dinner and more supplies.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast