Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ramp Rates for local and non-locals at Port of Orillia

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dean.f View Post
    They've had full time police/ bylaw officers guarding the beaches every weekend for the past couple months. The last time I took a ride down Holmes point road the bylaw guys were ushering people attempting to stop. Most of the problems mentioned in the article happen during a regular summer,I can only imagine what it's like now. Park rd was an absolute nightmare Saturday morning with OPP directing traffic with the closure at 48 yet people were sneaking around hedge road and pulling a u turn to line up for Sibbald.
    Park rd has been a mess every weekend and yes many rd closed off including park rd at 48. Some lady also went crazy there last month stabbing several people at sibalds its about 10 minute drive away for me . Before we left I noticed
    Many rds blocked off in willow last week .

I never met an a hole all week until I was closer to home on Saturday. Some big mob came into a park and took up all the spots acted like they own the place . Even when I said hi they just looked at me like I was a piece of crap. They were definitely from the city lol.

I'm more than happy to stay away from the city I wont go there lol.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Imagine the out rage if they charged Barrie/innisfil commuters to Toronto 10x the taxes to use the 400 10x per week. There's no real difference when charging 10x the ramp fee.
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LiveBates View Post
    Imagine the out rage if they charged Barrie/innisfil commuters to Toronto 10x the taxes to use the 400 10x per week. There's no real difference when charging 10x the ramp fee.
    The funny thing is, likely a lot of the tax dollars that pay for public ramps in Georgina/Innisfil and beyond are dollars earned from industry in the city. I know that's where I work. That highway south isn't packed with the unemployed every morning I'll bet.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LiveBates View Post
    Again...provincial highways are built with provincial Taxes...Municipal ramps are built with local taxes. Big difference. If you use provincial ramps, like in a provincial park everyone pays the same.

Put yourself in the shoes of a ‘local’..how would you feel if you headed down to your towns ramp Sat morning and the parking lot was full of cars/trailers from the out of towners and you couldn’t launch. YOU paid for the facility, they didn’t.

Even if the locals are required to pay a user fee...the out of towners should be paying an additional amount to offset the costs covered by the local taxes.
    Last edited by MikePal; August 4th, 2020 at 06:19 AM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

If we weren't under the Emergency Act, I'd be willing to bet that they're violating the Canadian Navigable Waters Act. At least the disportionate fee restrictions would be.

Parking is one thing but your right to navigable waters through public access across Canada is now protected under the new Act. It's a new Federal Act that helps protect all Canadians rights to access regardless of where you live in the country.
    There's nothing in the Act that allows for differentiating restrictions between Canadians for access. Except for some indigenous exemptions, we're to have equal access.

Any new obstruction that prevents Canadians from navigable waters, whether by land or by water now requires approval from Transport Canada. Any previously existing obstructions can be reviewed and dealt with on a case by case basis through their complaint process. This Act comes with some teeth for Canadians to use as enforcement to protect equal access and open up previously restricted access.
    Look up the act and gov't website below, particularly the mission statements on the purpose of changing the Act.
    The Act is there to prevent things just like this.
    With this Emergency Act still in place, there are allowances for Government restrictions for safety reason like the spread of covid, but once it's over, I think the Navigable Waters Act is in play for the people to use against these Townships.
    They're essentially creating an obstruction through a disportionate monetary fee based on your residency. For some Canadians, that'll mean it prevents them from accessing completely, which obviously goes against the purpose of the Act.
    It's worth a call to Transport Canada at the end of this State of Emergency if you're still being affected.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/en...guidebook.html
    https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/n-22/

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Again...provincial highways are built with provincial Taxes...Municipal ramps are built with local taxes. Big difference. If you use provincial ramps, like in a provincial park everyone pays the same.

Put yourself in the shoes of a ‘local’..how would you feel if you headed down to your towns ramp Sat morning and the parking lot was full of cars/trailers from the out of towners and you couldn’t launch. YOU paid for the facility, they didn’t.

Even if the locals are required to pay a user fee...the out of towners should be paying an additional amount to offset the costs covered by the local taxes.
    Put yourself as a local and look down the street and see people from the big city parking and shopping in your stores spending their money in your community... Maybe they should charge more in the local shops to keep them away from shopping too.......(sarcasm)
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If your all butt hurt about it just go where your more welcome.

In simple words I am not aloud to use the beach just 8 minutes north of me . I shop there I buy gas there and I am not allowed to use the beach. But I will suck it up and go elsewhere . The beach that is only 400 yards away is again Durham I am a Yorker off limits to me.

So suck it up many are feeling the pinch not just the city folks. Being so close to heavy populated areas will have it's downfalls in times like these.

Didn't anyones parents ever talk about these pandemics growing up? My mom always feared of a nasty bug or the plague leaking from a lab. It was bound to happen she said it 20 years ago when we talked about all the labs growing up. Only takes 1 f up to wipe out most of the planets population.

Guess we are all lucky it's not any worse.

Last edited by fishfood; August 4th, 2020 at 08:24 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    If your all butt hurt about it just go where your more welcome.

In simple words I am not aloud to use the beach just 8 minutes north of me . I shop there I buy gas there and I am not allowed to use the beach. But I will suck it up and go elsewhere . The beach that is only 400 yards away is again Durham I am a Yorker off limits to me.

So suck it up many are feeling the pinch not just the city folks. Being so close to heavy populated areas will have it's downfalls in times like these.

Didn't anyones parents ever talk about these pandemics growing up? My mom always feared of a nasty bug or the plague leaking from a lab. It was bound to happen she said it 20 years ago when we talked about all the labs growing up. Only takes 1 f up to wipe out most of the planets population.

Guess we are all lucky it's not any worse.

From my experience, the only way to make a change in anything pretty much is to confront (fight) it..... If you don't talk about it, change usually doesn't take place, or takes place slowly..... So I guess what I am saying, if it never gets talked about (challenged) it makes it acceptable.....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I get it... was just joining in the conversation I don't use ramps anymore, I pretty much fish my own lake these days. I'll just step to the side again......
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I live right on the border of the big city. Close to the first beach outside the city limits. Different tax base. So how many people from T.O. do you think visit their next door neighbors beautiful beach? No charge!
    Last edited by fishermccann; August 4th, 2020 at 10:00 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast