Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56

Thread: Best days for deer in your experience

  1. #11
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    It unfortunate that probably 80% of the hunters don't have a choice...I know in our camp I'm the only one who hunts outside of the rifle week. Lots of guys work and can't get away for more than a 5 day period. So it really doesn't matter what the weather is like or if the deer aren't moving yet....ya get what you get !!

    Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Anytime of day if your using dogs..
    Not wrong and a big reason guys get any deer at all.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    ... So it really doesn't matter what the weather is like or if the deer aren't moving yet....ya get what you get !! .
    I agree 100%! Hunting can be so random as so many factors are out of your control. That’s why it’s so important to have contingency tactics which enable you to mix things up. As Fred Trost used to say “ Get outdoors, it’s a great place to be!” I’ll add to that and say “even when the fish aren’t bitting or game is scarce”.

  4. #13
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Anytime of day if your using dogs..
    True enough. I've been involved in a couple small ones but was never in a camp that ran dogs daily. I'm out in the country and the gangs that do run dogs seem to do it mid morning once deer are bedded down or mid afternoon leaving plenty of time for the evening sit. It sure can be exciting though just hearing the dogs from another camp sounding off and headed your way. Sometimes you just hear the deer booting it through the bush, sometimes you get a flash of tail and the odd time you'll get one just slowly passing by way ahead of the dogs.
    There's a pretty big camp around here that has like easy a thousand acres all told including right 450 across the road from me. They don't run dogs anymore, just use mostly the young lads marching through the bush and barking for their pushes. I fear it's becoming a lost art.
    Smitty

    Straight shooter

  5. #14
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I go when time allows but see more deer on the days I have snotsicles dangling.

  6. #15
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    i tend to see more deer during new and full moon cycles. in november usually its early to mid november.

  7. #16
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    The last week of October and first week of November should typically have the most movement and activity. I do hunt the rut but it's the pre rut I get excited for and when I have the most success. Morning and evening are good in my #1 spot as its a main travel corridor from bedding to feeding and weve taken some nice bucks and does in the 5 years weve been hunting the same tiny property.

    I only hunt in the best wind and only when there is a big change in weather patterns. Once the rain stops, after a big snowfall, after a few days of high winds, when the temperature drops more the 5 degrees.

    Moon cycles dont play much if anything in my limited experience and from the research data Ive seen on it by various researchers.
    Last edited by Deer Wrastler; August 8th, 2020 at 11:28 AM.

  8. #17
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Our dogs have got on a chase at any time of the day. We only run 2 at a time. The camp I've been with for the last 14 years has been using dogs since 1971. This year will possibly be the first year ever we dont run dogs. Unfortunately there isn't guys willing to raise and have beagles all year, and the couple of ones we do have, have become too house bound and unfortunately lost alot of they're hunting drive. Not sure really how to go about adjusting. We hunt Ottawa Valley bush, and 8-10 watches with plenty of escape routes. Think we'll put a bunch of bait down, and hope for the best. I know I'll adjust, as I move constantly, but I'm wondering if the older fella's will just stoke they're fired and doze off a few more times during the day.
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

  9. #18
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveBates View Post
    Our dogs have got on a chase at any time of the day. We only run 2 at a time. The camp I've been with for the last 14 years has been using dogs since 1971. This year will possibly be the first year ever we dont run dogs. Unfortunately there isn't guys willing to raise and have beagles all year, and the couple of ones we do have, have become too house bound and unfortunately lost alot of they're hunting drive. Not sure really how to go about adjusting. We hunt Ottawa Valley bush, and 8-10 watches with plenty of escape routes. Think we'll put a bunch of bait down, and hope for the best. I know I'll adjust, as I move constantly, but I'm wondering if the older fella's will just stoke they're fired and doze off a few more times during the day.
    Find a good worn in trail next to bedding or food...Ive never baited and I always get my deer sometimes 2 in a year in the limited time I get out. Dogs and bait are cool, but not necessary to be successful. Stalk some cornfields in the rain or high winds especially where it backs onto bush property. Set up a few tree stands and rotate use between them. If no stands make some natural blinds along well used trails. Its really not that difficult, running dogs is like shooting fish in a barrel compared to actually hunting and stalking the deer yourself.
    Last edited by Deer Wrastler; August 8th, 2020 at 03:32 PM.

  10. #19
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wrastler View Post
    Find a good worn in trail next to bedding or food...Ive never baited and I always get my deer sometimes 2 in a year in the limited time I get out. Dogs and bait are cool, but not necessary to be successful. Stalk some cornfields in the rain or high winds especially where it backs onto bush property. Set up a few tree stands and rotate use between them. If no stands make some natural blinds along well used trails. Its really not that difficult, running dogs is like shooting fish in a barrel compared to actually hunting and stalking the deer yourself.
    I'm not going to get into it with you man, but you couldn't be more far off about the deer hunting heritage of running dogs in rural Ontario. As much as I agree with the rest of your post, if you think running dogs is like shooting fish in a barrel you couldn't be more wrong. I can't speak for all of Ontario, but out in my area of Lanark there were and still are always buck only camps from way back, many of them 8pt and over as a camp rule for the first week at least. So running dogs actually allows them to target mature bucks and leave a healthy population. Other camps like one my daughter is in with local property if you have a doe tag they are fair game, but it's not like they take fawns even late rifle season like one camp I know well. We have a two week season.
    Saying that, I would never begrudge anyone filling a legal tag, like if I was still out bow hunting in late December with a doe tag and and a late season fawn presented a shot I would likely take it. Wifey would be very happy too.

    Cheers
    Smitty

    Straight shooter

  11. #20
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wrastler View Post
    ., running dogs is like shooting fish in a barrel compared to actually hunting and stalking the deer yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    I'm not going to get into it with you man, but you couldn't be more far off about the deer hunting heritage of running dogs in rural Ontario.
    Yea you'll never change their minds Smitty...they have no clue but spout off every time the topic comes up.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •