Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Hullett Marsh Pheasant Release

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default 2020 Hullett Marsh Pheasant Release

Many of you upland hunters are members of the Friends of Hullett but just in case you are not the message below was emailed to our membership 2 days ago:

Hello members and friends,

Pheasant Challenge Tickets:

• We now have tickets on hand and ready for sale!
    • The attached poster will show you details of 8 sale locations of our 2 sponsors Ideal Supply & Clinton Sporting Goods
    • You can also purchase tickets direct from Friends of Hullett with multiple contactless payment options
    • We will complete the ticket for you and mail you the stubs, EMT and PayPal are preferred payment types
    • Click here to purchase on our website homepage via PayPal just as you would shop from home….Free Shipping!
    • INTERAC email money transfers EMT (to this email address) will get you your tickets fast with “Auto Deposit” requiring no security question
    • You can still mail us a cheque or phone in a credit card to get tickets as well
    • With the current health crisis our office is still closed to the public for your safety and ours and no tickets will be sold at the office for the time being

2020 Pheasant Hunt:

• 920 pheasants will be released this fall at Hullett Marsh thanks to last years support!

• The future of the pheasant hunt at Hullett is in the hands of the hunters who financially support it
    • Direct cash donations are also accepted and provide you with an income tax receipt
    • Avid Hullett pheasant hunters may want to consider ordering a blank book or 2 of Pheasant Challenge tickets to sell to their “bubble friends/hunters”

Pheasant Challenge 2020_001.jpg
    Last edited by FOH; August 7th, 2020 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    Friends of Hullett

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

UPDATE:

200 pheasants will be released in ZONE B prior to small game and pheasant opening day on Friday September 25 2020.

Please practice provincial COVID safety guidelines if you encounter other property users in the parking lots.

Since August 5 we have received enough financial hunter support to release 200 birds for the 2021 season.....Big thank you to those who have contributed!

Our new User Guide/Map can be downloaded on our web site and is also available as a hard copy in all 20 access parking lots.

Our office remains closed to the public with no visitors allowed for the safety of volunteers, staff and public property users.

You can easily renew or become a member here: http://www.hullettmarsh.com/contact_us.html

Best of luck this hunting season and please be safe out there!
    Last edited by FOH; September 21st, 2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    Friends of Hullett

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Hunted the Hullett opener today for the first time in many years. The cover this year is spectacular. Ran into several other hunters and had brief pleasant encounters. It got hot pretty quickly and we tapped out at 11am. We moved two birds and managed to bag both although not due to my shooting. Popped into Clinton Sporting Goods and grabbed a couple pheasant challenge tickets too so the program will keep running. I strongly encourage people to do the same. There were literally dozens of people hunting today. Imagine if they all contributed financially to this great place.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I made it out for a quick hunt this morning before work. Managed to bag a rooster. Noticed quite a few vehicles parked in the parking lots and shots in the distance. If everyone who hunts pheasants at Hullett buys some tickets I’m sure we can keep enjoying this great pheasant hunting tradition Hullett offers.
    Last edited by fishhawk; September 25th, 2020 at 08:46 PM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

My son and I made it out on Saturday for a hunt @ Hullett. It quickly warmed up but that did not prevent us from flushing 3 birds and ending up with 2.
    We packed up around noon as it just got too hot to walk and the dog was getting over heated.
    Overall a great time, the grounds are in perfect condition. We saw lots of vehicles in the parking lot but did not run into many hunters while out and about.
    In speaking to one hunter in the parking lot, we were warned not to shoot any decoy pheasant? The MNR was out the day before and placing pheasant decoys on the side of the road. They did catch a few overly excited hunters.
    One other thing, we saw some duck hunters setup in a swamp in zone "B". I thought you could only duck hunt in Zone "A"? Am I wrong? Are you allowed to duck hunt in zone B?

Elite Member

User Info Menu

You can hunt ducks and geese in both zone’s.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    Hunted the Hullett opener today for the first time in many years. The cover this year is spectacular. Ran into several other hunters and had brief pleasant encounters. It got hot pretty quickly and we tapped out at 11am. We moved two birds and managed to bag both although not due to my shooting. Popped into Clinton Sporting Goods and grabbed a couple pheasant challenge tickets too so the program will keep running. I strongly encourage people to do the same. There were literally dozens of people hunting today. Imagine if they all contributed financially to this great place.
    Thanks for the support Dilly! I will be visiting Clinton Sporting Goods to collect ticket stubs and revenue today. Thank goodness in this year of COVID that our tickets are selling well on our online platforms....we promptly mail the stubs to the hunters purchasing. We will update the revenue collected so far for the 2021 release in a week or so on this thread.
    Friends of Hullett

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    I made it out for a quick hunt this morning before work. Managed to bag a rooster. Noticed quite a few vehicles parked in the parking lots and shots in the distance. If everyone who hunts pheasants at Hullett buys some tickets I’m sure we can keep enjoying this great pheasant hunting tradition Hullett offers.
    Well said fishhawk!
    Friends of Hullett

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateman View Post
    My son and I made it out on Saturday for a hunt @ Hullett. It quickly warmed up but that did not prevent us from flushing 3 birds and ending up with 2.
    We packed up around noon as it just got too hot to walk and the dog was getting over heated.
    Overall a great time, the grounds are in perfect condition. We saw lots of vehicles in the parking lot but did not run into many hunters while out and about.
    In speaking to one hunter in the parking lot, we were warned not to shoot any decoy pheasant? The MNR was out the day before and placing pheasant decoys on the side of the road. They did catch a few overly excited hunters.
    One other thing, we saw some duck hunters setup in a swamp in zone "B". I thought you could only duck hunt in Zone "A"? Am I wrong? Are you allowed to duck hunt in zone B?
    We circulated this message in a PDF "Hunting at Hullett" document to our membership via email last week. The original document contained many hyperlinks. The regulations are hard for some to understand so we attempted to educate both hunters and non hunters:

Hunting at Hullett Marsh

A fact sheet to help you understand, research and enjoy your hunting experience at the Hullett Provincial Wildlife Area (HPWA)

Multi-Use Property

• Please be mindful and respectful of other property users such as hikers, skiers, snowshoe users, canoeists/kayakers, photographers, horseback riders, foragers, birdwatchers, school groups and nature groups
    • Wearing a blaze orange hat/vest will increase your visibility to other property users for the safety of all concerned

Property Location:
    • HPWA is lo
    cated in Huron County near the towns of Clinton and Seaforth.
    • The HPWA is a 5,400-acre, multi-use crown property.
    • The MNRF WMU is #85 for both Zone A & B, “controlled deer hunt” is 85B
    • No winter snow removal is performed on Hullett interior roads.

Hunting Regulation Facts
    :
    • First and foremost, all hunters using the property must read and understand Hullett and Provincial hunting regulations before hunting.
    • If you are hunting migratory birds such as waterfowl, woodcock and doves you must also read and understand Federal regulations.
    • Hullett is open for hunting 365 days a year with no fees charged to hunt.
    • Sunday gun hunting is permitted at Hullett.
    • With Sunday gun hunting, Hullett does not have a late goose season.
    • The property is divided into 2 hunting zones each with very different regulations. Refer to the User Guide for rules pertaining to each management zone; both A & B.
    • The South Maitland River is the boundary between each zone.
    • Zone A has 6 access parking lots and Zone B has 14 access parking lots.
    • In order to hunt at HPWA you must park in a designated parking lot as per Hullett regulations.
    • The property has 3 areas that no public access is permitted 365 days a year; 2 baited areas and 1 wildlife refuge (White Tail Swamp).
    • Please note that Friends of Hullett (FOH) staff are not Conservation Officers with detailed knowledge of Provincial and Federal regulations.
    • Spring wild turkey hunting is permitted in Zones A & B.
    • Migratory birds may be hunted in both Zone A & B.

The regulation links below will help you with your research:

Hullett Specific Regulations
    2020-2021 Ontario Hunting Regulations Summary
    Federal Migratory Game Bird Hunting Regulations

Scouting and Property Knowledge:

• Hullett Marsh is a very large and intimidating property especially for first time hunters visiting the property.
    • The Hullett map that is located in the center of our User Guide is your best friend while you navigate the property.
    • User Guides are available online via our web site and hard copies can be found in the map boxes located at each of our 20 parking lots.
    • Successful hunters visit the property many times before hunting seasons to scout various habitats for signs of wildlife, to learn access points and to observe water levels.
    • Scouting methods include driving the property perimeter and interior roads, hiking, canoeing/kayaking and GOOGLE maps.
    Volunteering and Membership advantages:
    • Volunteering your time helping with nesting programs, events, habitat care and general property maintenance is a great way to scout and learn about the Hullett landscape.
    • Becoming a FOH member not only helps support us financially in property maintenance and signage but it also gives you access to updates and newsletters via email.

Pheasant Hunting

• A Township/Municipal license in not required to hunt pheasants at the HPWA.
    • Pheasants have been released free of charge to the public for over 30 years at the HPWA for public hunting in Zone B only. Lead shot is allowed.
    • FOH has a goal of releasing 1000 birds free per year at various intervals throughout the pheasant season costing FOH over $11,000 annually.
    • Your direct donations towards the pheasant release program will generate a charitable tax receipt for you and ensure birds for the 2021 hunt.
    • Donations and your purchase of “Pheasant Challenge” tickets will help FOH continue this release program and ensure birds for the 2021 hunt.
    • Based on 2020 financial support 920 pheasants will be released for the 2020 hunt.
    • The future of the hunt is in your hands pheasant hunters!
    • Staff are not permitted to disclose details of release dates and locations.
    Last edited by FOH; September 29th, 2020 at 08:44 AM.
    Friends of Hullett

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

The document is well laid out unlike the copy we have posted above.

If anyone would like it please request via email at fohoffice@tcc.on.ca and we will gladly send it to you!
    Friends of Hullett

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast