Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Border closure hurting tourism operations

  1. #31
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I am projecting that the boarder will remain closed for the majority of this summer or until the majority of Canadians are vaccinated, which at this rate it will probably take until the end of 2022.

    Fishing and hunting lodges need to pivot & adapt during this pandemic or die. Americans will not be traveling to Canada anytime soon.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #32
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 410001661 View Post
    I am projecting that the boarder will remain closed for the majority of this summer or until the majority of Canadians are vaccinated, which at this rate it will probably take until the end of 2022.

    Fishing and hunting lodges need to pivot & adapt during this pandemic or die. Americans will not be traveling to Canada anytime soon.
    If there was a good price on a bear hunt, I might be able to support them.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

  4. #33
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    If there was a good price on a bear hunt, I might be able to support them.
    Sounds like a plan count me in.

  5. #34
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I've stayed at a number of different places. Both hunting/fishing and not at all. They all rely on foreigners, Ontarians don't want to pay to explore their backyard. One place I stayed at, an absolutely amazing log cabin, tucked away, with to do die for food ( American plan only). 90% of the clients are European, despite the GTA being just 3 hours away.

    In the off topic forum, there's a popular thread about China/trade/buy Canadian etc. Many people seemed to indicate they would. Yet, the most common reply in this thread is too expensive.....
    So maybe it's just as much a chicken and egg here too. Maybe tourism operators, started relying more and more on Americans years ago, because Ontarians didn't want to...I can recall as a child many moons ago, my favorite part of the Sportsman show was the travel hall. One could spend hours in there. Last time I went you could power walk it in 5 minutes. All businesses small or large, need customers first. I'm reasonably confident they stopped paying, stopped attending because the "return" wasn't worth it.

    Maybe they adapted years ago to cater to foreigners' out of need? As opposed to the almighty USD?
    Last edited by JBen; February 8th, 2021 at 06:08 PM.

  6. #35
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBen View Post
    I've stayed at a number of different places. Both hunting/fishing and not at all. They all rely on foreigners, Ontarians don't want to pay to explore their backyard. One place I stayed at, an absolutely amazing log cabin, tucked away, with to do die for food ( American plan only). 90% of the clients are European, despite the GTA being just 3 hours away.

    In the off topic forum, there's a popular thread about China/trade/buy Canadian etc. Many people seemed to indicate they would. Yet, the most common reply in this thread is too expensive.....
    So maybe it's just as much a chicken and egg here too. Maybe tourism operators, started relying more and more on Americans years ago, because Ontarians didn't want to...I can recall as a child many moons ago, my favorite part of the Sportsman show was the travel hall. One could spend hours in there. Last time I went you could power walk it in 5 minutes. All businesses small or large, need customers first. I'm reasonably confident they stopped paying, stopped attending because the "return" wasn't worth it.

    Maybe they adapted years ago to cater to foreigners' out of need? As opposed to the almighty USD?
    I go to a fishing lodge once a year for my guys annual fishing trip and every second year I go to a fly in. I also enjoyed he travel hall at the sportsman show but I will never spend my travel money with an outfitter that advertises in $USD out of principle. I get it.......some lodges makes a large percentage of their money from US clients but you are at the TO sportsman show - that is Canada......tell me what your prices are in Canadian funds.

    They put all their eggs in one basket and are now paying the price. No US travel in 2020 and 2021 is shaping up to be similar to 2021.

  7. #36
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I can understand some of the prices being asked for a hunt with an outfitter.
    Most of them have a lot of money tied up in stands, ATV's, trucks, accommodations, insurance, and land use permits.
    Not to mention the time involved, especially the ones doing bear.

    I don't think that $1000 for a deer hunt or $1500 for a bear hunt is too much for anyone that does not have the time or location to hunt on their own.
    During these hunts you have the opportunity to meet other people and in some cases new friends that get together year after year with that outfitter.

    Last year and looks like this year has hurt most of them.
    The government covid money was not available to most of the outfitters.
    Maybe they will see the need to advertise in Canadian dollars and cater more to residents.


    Maybe more will see the need to advertise in Canadian money

  8. #37
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunt guy View Post
    I can understand some of the prices being asked for a hunt with an outfitter.
    Most of them have a lot of money tied up in stands, ATV's, trucks, accommodations, insurance, and land use permits.
    Not to mention the time involved, especially the ones doing bear.

    I don't think that $1000 for a deer hunt or $1500 for a bear hunt is too much for anyone that does not have the time or location to hunt on their own.
    During these hunts you have the opportunity to meet other people and in some cases new friends that get together year after year with that outfitter.

    Last year and looks like this year has hurt most of them.
    The government covid money was not available to most of the outfitters.
    Maybe they will see the need to advertise in Canadian dollars and cater more to residents.


    Maybe more will see the need to advertise in Canadian money
    I think that their rates are quite reasonable - especially if you are a hunter that does not have a place or the means to hunt for either a deer or a bear. Paying $1,500 Cdn for a 7 day fly in is very reasonable IMHO......including flight in/out, lodge, boats & motors and gas.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •