Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Border closure hurting tourism operations

Administrator

User Info Menu

Default Border closure hurting tourism operations

Good morning!
    Lyle, our assistant digital editor for the summer, just finished his piece on the border closure.
    What do you folks think?
    https://oodmag.com/border-closure-hu...sm-operations/

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

This first comment summarizes their plight..."Nighthawk Outfitters owner Gary Couillard has an exclusively American clientele, making the 2020 season a wash."

They cater almost exclusively to non-Canadians because they make more money with that clientele. If they re-focused on attracting more Ontarians and accept they won't make as much money, their season wouldn't be a wash...just not as lucrative.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Even without the Covid-19 problems, these northern fishing/hunting camps are something I’ve always wanted to go to, but can’t because my wife and I are allergic to smoke, and I’ve never found a camp yet that didn’t have either wood stove or campfires.
    Now, with the Covid issues, I’m not sure I would even go to one that didn’t have the fires!
    Last edited by genec; August 11th, 2020 at 12:37 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    This first comment summarizes their plight..."Nighthawk Outfitters owner Gary Couillard has an exclusively American clientele, making the 2020 season a wash."

They cater almost exclusively to non-Canadians because they make more money with that clientele. If they re-focused on attracting more Ontarians and accept they won't make as much money, their season wouldn't be a wash...just not as lucrative.
    It's there own doing, no love lost from me.... If they were cater to Canadians (after all they are our Canadian resources being used/taken) I would have some sympathy for them but as it stands now, they made their own your bed.... You either change the sheets or watch them get soiled....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I've tried over the years to book Moose hunts with northern outfitters. After they saw where I lived,they quickly told me that they cater to US clients,only,and pretty much blew me off. I should have known,though,after noting that all their prices were much higher than local outfitters and all quoted in US funds. Many of the northern outfitter resorts are owned by US citizens. It's very difficult for me to generate sympathy for their plight. The old adage of "Being hoisted on their own petard" comes to mind.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post

Guess they should take on some Canadians. The greed for money is too much sometimes for many.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    I've tried over the years to book Moose hunts with northern outfitters. After they saw where I lived,they quickly told me that they cater to US clients,only,and pretty much blew me off. I should have known,though,after noting that all their prices were much higher than local outfitters and all quoted in US funds. Many of the northern outfitter resorts are owned by US citizens. It's very difficult for me to generate sympathy for their plight. The old adage of "Being hoisted on their own petard" comes to mind.
    Keep your business with someone who will appreciate and welcome all hunters. [emoji106]

If they want to only cater to only Americans let's, let them have it lol. Not our problem the border is closed lol.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

There are tourism and hospitality businesses all over Ontario that are suffering because the border is closed. The alternative is opening the border to non-essential travellers and letting possibly infected Americans spread the virus among us and permit Canadians to travel south and bring the virus back.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

In my opinion, all outfitters and lodges should have started marketing to Canadians months ago. This could have been done online through different groups like Facebook. I am seeing all kinds of Waterfowl outfitters from Saskatchewan and Ontario promoting their businesses this way. I think it’s time for people that can afford it to support some of the local businesses. These businesses should also have some sort of incentives to attract new business.
    Anyone who thinks the border to the US will be open soon is just not dealing with our new reality.
    Last edited by JMatthews; August 11th, 2020 at 04:01 PM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

The USA with 5 million plus cases, 41,000 new cases and over 1050 dead in the last 24hrs, opening the border to free travel is a great idea....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast