Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Border closure hurting tourism operations

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I am projecting that the boarder will remain closed for the majority of this summer or until the majority of Canadians are vaccinated, which at this rate it will probably take until the end of 2022.

Fishing and hunting lodges need to pivot & adapt during this pandemic or die. Americans will not be traveling to Canada anytime soon.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 410001661 View Post
    I am projecting that the boarder will remain closed for the majority of this summer or until the majority of Canadians are vaccinated, which at this rate it will probably take until the end of 2022.

Fishing and hunting lodges need to pivot & adapt during this pandemic or die. Americans will not be traveling to Canada anytime soon.
    If there was a good price on a bear hunt, I might be able to support them.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    If there was a good price on a bear hunt, I might be able to support them.
    Sounds like a plan count me in.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I've stayed at a number of different places. Both hunting/fishing and not at all. They all rely on foreigners, Ontarians don't want to pay to explore their backyard. One place I stayed at, an absolutely amazing log cabin, tucked away, with to do die for food ( American plan only). 90% of the clients are European, despite the GTA being just 3 hours away.

In the off topic forum, there's a popular thread about China/trade/buy Canadian etc. Many people seemed to indicate they would. Yet, the most common reply in this thread is too expensive.....
    So maybe it's just as much a chicken and egg here too. Maybe tourism operators, started relying more and more on Americans years ago, because Ontarians didn't want to...I can recall as a child many moons ago, my favorite part of the Sportsman show was the travel hall. One could spend hours in there. Last time I went you could power walk it in 5 minutes. All businesses small or large, need customers first. I'm reasonably confident they stopped paying, stopped attending because the "return" wasn't worth it.

Maybe they adapted years ago to cater to foreigners' out of need? As opposed to the almighty USD?
    Last edited by JBen; February 8th, 2021 at 06:08 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBen View Post
    I've stayed at a number of different places. Both hunting/fishing and not at all. They all rely on foreigners, Ontarians don't want to pay to explore their backyard. One place I stayed at, an absolutely amazing log cabin, tucked away, with to do die for food ( American plan only). 90% of the clients are European, despite the GTA being just 3 hours away.

In the off topic forum, there's a popular thread about China/trade/buy Canadian etc. Many people seemed to indicate they would. Yet, the most common reply in this thread is too expensive.....
    So maybe it's just as much a chicken and egg here too. Maybe tourism operators, started relying more and more on Americans years ago, because Ontarians didn't want to...I can recall as a child many moons ago, my favorite part of the Sportsman show was the travel hall. One could spend hours in there. Last time I went you could power walk it in 5 minutes. All businesses small or large, need customers first. I'm reasonably confident they stopped paying, stopped attending because the "return" wasn't worth it.

Maybe they adapted years ago to cater to foreigners' out of need? As opposed to the almighty USD?
    I go to a fishing lodge once a year for my guys annual fishing trip and every second year I go to a fly in. I also enjoyed he travel hall at the sportsman show but I will never spend my travel money with an outfitter that advertises in $USD out of principle. I get it.......some lodges makes a large percentage of their money from US clients but you are at the TO sportsman show - that is Canada......tell me what your prices are in Canadian funds.

They put all their eggs in one basket and are now paying the price. No US travel in 2020 and 2021 is shaping up to be similar to 2021.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I can understand some of the prices being asked for a hunt with an outfitter.
    Most of them have a lot of money tied up in stands, ATV's, trucks, accommodations, insurance, and land use permits.
    Not to mention the time involved, especially the ones doing bear.

I don't think that $1000 for a deer hunt or $1500 for a bear hunt is too much for anyone that does not have the time or location to hunt on their own.
    During these hunts you have the opportunity to meet other people and in some cases new friends that get together year after year with that outfitter.

Last year and looks like this year has hurt most of them.
    The government covid money was not available to most of the outfitters.
    Maybe they will see the need to advertise in Canadian dollars and cater more to residents.

Maybe more will see the need to advertise in Canadian money

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hunt guy View Post
    I can understand some of the prices being asked for a hunt with an outfitter.
    Most of them have a lot of money tied up in stands, ATV's, trucks, accommodations, insurance, and land use permits.
    Not to mention the time involved, especially the ones doing bear.

I don't think that $1000 for a deer hunt or $1500 for a bear hunt is too much for anyone that does not have the time or location to hunt on their own.
    During these hunts you have the opportunity to meet other people and in some cases new friends that get together year after year with that outfitter.

Last year and looks like this year has hurt most of them.
    The government covid money was not available to most of the outfitters.
    Maybe they will see the need to advertise in Canadian dollars and cater more to residents.

Maybe more will see the need to advertise in Canadian money
    I think that their rates are quite reasonable - especially if you are a hunter that does not have a place or the means to hunt for either a deer or a bear. Paying $1,500 Cdn for a 7 day fly in is very reasonable IMHO......including flight in/out, lodge, boats & motors and gas.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Spammer Booted
    Last edited by TroutSlayer; April 27th, 2023 at 06:54 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolcosaf View Post
    Many countries have found themselves in a similar situation. There are countries with poor economies that live thanks to tourists. And in recent years, the residents have been starving due to the lack of tourist flow. Canadians could support their country and engage in domestic tourism. I studied the whole of Europe during the pandemic. In any case, I visited all available places. Every weekend I buy cheap tickets to "Spam link removed" and I'm going to a new city. I prefer not to visit small cave where the owners cook themselves. This is my way of supporting small businesses.
    There's a massive difference between North America and Europe when it comes to rail travel. Europe it's on time and has lots of options to join between cities. In North America you have to wait, freight rules the rails, passenger service is second and the ticket prices are ridiculous.
    Last edited by TroutSlayer; April 27th, 2023 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Removed spam link in quote.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234