Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Border closure hurting tourism operations

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    I've been in those boots as a bear outfitter and know first hand the reasons why they are reluctant to bring in residents. First and most obvious of course is hunts are advertised and paid in the American dollar. Its a business so they're going to take every advantage they can to make a profit. Now, when it comes to bear outfitters most are Ontario residents, not Americans who hold the BMA's. In the west part of the province, yep, there are a number of lodges owned by Americans. I have no idea what the percentage is.
    The second reason residents aren't welcomed is because they've been known to book the season with an outfitter then the following season are found sitting near the outfitters baited stand and camping nearby.
    I think the same holds true for moose hunt outfitters.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Administrator

User Info Menu

Please save the political propaganda for off-topic, folks. Thank-you.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by overtheir View Post
    WE have all felt the impact of the border one way or another but the line must stay closed to keep people save . I understand about the income lost and I agree we all need money but can you put a price on the risk of passing it on to others , trust me I live with this ever. day my wife is on the front line (nurse) every time she walks in to the hospital she's at risk ,our town has been very lucky with the number of cases being low .
    +1. Ontario has made the effort to reduce the virus. Most of America hasn't. If Americans don't give a damn if they spread the virus to other Americans they will care even less about spreading it to Canadians.

KOA: Keep Out Americans. Keep Out of America.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Isn’t the border closed till august 21. Any hear talk of that being extended again only 7 days to go . Please keep it closed.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Just seen this

We are extending the reciprocal restrictions at the Canada-US border for another 30 days, till Sept. 21, 2020. We will continue to do what’s necessary to keep our communities safe,” tweeted Public Safety Minister Bill Blair.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js4fn View Post
    Just seen this

We are extending the reciprocal restrictions at the Canada-US border for another 30 days, till Sept. 21, 2020. We will continue to do what’s necessary to keep our communities safe,” tweeted Public Safety Minister Bill Blair.
    Yeah but 14 thousand Americans flew into Canada last week since we are in stage 3 . If this trend continues we will see upwards of 75 thousand people coming in from the US. 10 times that with all the other international travelers by then. Are the boarders still really closed. I heard of a couple trying to go and get married in Vegas to bring back her Mexican boyfriend into [emoji1063] .

Always a loop hole [emoji874]

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

The only thing that really changes for Americans coming to these Ontario based lodges is that they will have to fly between countries, only the land borders are closed to non essential travel.

Flights are dirt cheap now. Probably cheaper than driving.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    This first comment summarizes their plight..."Nighthawk Outfitters owner Gary Couillard has an exclusively American clientele, making the 2020 season a wash."

They cater almost exclusively to non-Canadians because they make more money with that clientele. If they re-focused on attracting more Ontarians and accept they won't make as much money, their season wouldn't be a wash...just not as lucrative.
    Honestly if you want to live my the sword you die by the sword. We go on a fishing trip every year and a fly in every other year and we boycott any camp that advertises in $USD only. I could care less about their business model - you are running a business on Canadian soil you need to be open for business for Canadians as well as Americans.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    Yeah but 14 thousand Americans flew into Canada last week since we are in stage 3 . If this trend continues we will see upwards of 75 thousand people coming in from the US. 10 times that with all the other international travelers by then. Are the boarders still really closed. I heard of a couple trying to go and get married in Vegas to bring back her Mexican boyfriend into [emoji1063] .

Always a loop hole [emoji874]

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Good Old Air Canada - first in line for government handouts and last to follow government protocol. Classic case of profits over safety.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7273310/a...l-coronavirus/

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Many of these outfitters have created there own problem.
    They don't want Canadian customers when the can milk the US customers for more money.
    Now that business plan has failed at least temporarily they cry the blues.
    Not a lot of sympathy from me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast