Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 102

Thread: 2020 Hunt Mentoring Camp - Cancelled - Sorry

  1. #71
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I'm also in Ottawa and cannot wait for opener. If anyone is ever looking for an extra person I have an aluminum grumman, 5 avian-x mallard decoys, 12 goose silhouettes, 6 goose shells and a mallard mojo to contribute to the spread. I'm new to hunting (2nd year) but I am a very experienced outdoorsman and amateur naturalist.

    I find Marlborough is a tough place to hunt. Went grouse hunting there 5 times last year and didn't get one shot off. Nice and close place to go for a walk in the woods though. Does anyone know if there is a discharge setback for where the Rideau trail goes through? I have never hunted waterfowl there before but it certainly looks like great wood duck habitat.

    With regards to the canoe, could always strap it to a trailer as well if it can't go on top.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #72
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLenny View Post
    I'm also in Ottawa and cannot wait for opener. If anyone is ever looking for an extra person I have an aluminum grumman, 5 avian-x mallard decoys, 12 goose silhouettes, 6 goose shells and a mallard mojo to contribute to the spread. I'm new to hunting (2nd year) but I am a very experienced outdoorsman and amateur naturalist.

    I find Marlborough is a tough place to hunt. Went grouse hunting there 5 times last year and didn't get one shot off. Nice and close place to go for a walk in the woods though. Does anyone know if there is a discharge setback for where the Rideau trail goes through? I have never hunted waterfowl there before but it certainly looks like great wood duck habitat.

    With regards to the canoe, could always strap it to a trailer as well if it can't go on top.
    Will you be there Saturday morning?

  4. #73
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    On the front side wrap the strap around the bar of the bar then toss the strap over the canoe the part with the crank lever then hook the hook onto the bar on the other side and tighten (Some hooks might be to small). Do the same from the other side in the front (I like two straps on front). Then do the same in the back. I will see if I have a picture someplace. If you download the picture and enlarge it you can vaguely make out how I tied it down.


    image000000(1).jpg
    Last edited by greatwhite; September 24th, 2020 at 10:37 AM.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

  5. #74
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Wasn't planning on it. Too far of a portage with motor vehicles not permitted until October.

  6. #75
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
    It does. With two cross bars. But I've always tied the nose of the canoe to the front corners of the vehicle. Do you think I can skip this?
    No, make sure you tie down the front and the rear of the canoe to the vehicle. I would do it just for the peace of mind.
    Enjoy the hunt, be safe
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

  7. #76
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLenny View Post
    Wasn't planning on it. Too far of a portage with motor vehicles not permitted until October.
    Where did you see this rule? I saw over a dozen motorized vehicles in there last Sunday. All of the access gates to the forest are open, so everyone is driving in.

  8. #77
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    The road to where we duck hunt is open, we can drive right down.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
    Where did you see this rule? I saw over a dozen motorized vehicles in there last Sunday. All of the access gates to the forest are open, so everyone is driving in.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

  9. #78
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    If you pop the hood look for a couple bolts you can take out and feed some paracord or a loop of webbing under them. It's what I did to keep my 15' canoe on the roof of my Escape and never had any issues at highway speeds. Just remember to put them back under the hood when not in use or they will scuff the paint blowing around in the wind.

  10. #79
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa_Rob View Post
    If you pop the hood look for a couple bolts you can take out and feed some paracord or a loop of webbing under them. It's what I did to keep my 15' canoe on the roof of my Escape and never had any issues at highway speeds. Just remember to put them back under the hood when not in use or they will scuff the paint blowing around in the wind.
    Thanks Ottawa_Rob. I'll be popping the hood this afternoon to see if I can find something

  11. #80
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
    It does. With two cross bars. But I've always tied the nose of the canoe to the front corners of the vehicle. Do you think I can skip this?
    Don't skip this step. In a pinch I've used the hood to secure the front of the canoe (in addition to 2 straps on a roof rack and one rope at the back of the canoe/car). Used a rope at the bow of the canoe, opened the hood, ran the rope under the hood from one side to the other, made sure the rope wasn't touching any part of the engine, closed the hood, tightened everything down while tying the other end of the rope to the bow. It's not the preferred approach, but it worked for 2X 1.5 hour car rides, part of the ride on dirt roads.
    But I would be surprised if you look carefully and can't find some attachment points under the front of your vehicle, especially if it is an SUV. You can use pool noodles to prevent the rope or strap from rubbing too much on your bumper in the event that the attachment is very far back under the front.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •