Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: broad heads

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    Generally they recommend fixed for crossbows,due of the big impact my disintegrate the mechanical.....have no personal experience,and always shoot WASP SST 125 gr fixed broad heads. They did the job when i did mine.
    In archery not all is in shot placement,but after the shot, follow up with one's behavior,proper exit from the stand upon shot and timing of the tracking.A properly shot deer may not go far,and the blood trail may be good,but if one spooks the live deer which runs after being shot,or the deer beds to close and the hunter spooks it upon exiting the stand.........the game is over most of the time.
    That is why i do not support Hail Mary shots(not even with a gun)but archery is more finicky trade.
    Ive tried the Excalibur brand mechanical in my xbow and compound but they made a weird hissing sound in flight I thought would increase string jump. Not sure if all mechanicals are like this or those are unique but I would stay away from excalibur's mechanical BH. The fixed blade is quiet and very accurate. IMO mechanicals are prone to failure that fixed BH just isnt subjected to. Those rage hypodermic leave an awesome blood trail though and some of the other 2 blade mechanical ones ive seen. Too bad I have trust issues with them lol

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

i shoot torrid from the x bow. shooting an older exomag and im happy enough with them. i can say that the last deer i shot didnt go anywhere but there really wasn't much of a blood trail either. was in the snow and the deer went a few yards before falling over. was a dead quiet morning and the only sound was the string, the whack (man i love that sound) when the deer got hit and it falling over. what sucks about the torrid is i hear once you shoot them you cant use them again. blade came right off when i pulled it out of the deer so they arent really as strong... so kind of a one time use.
    i've also shot muzzys and am tempted to go back to them. thing i like about the torrid is they do fly true and it does fly like a field point.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I'm using the Excalibur Micro 335 and I prefer the 125gr mechanicals. I find that I get more consistent groups using 125gr over 100gr and 150gr. Presently I am using 125gr NAP Spitfires.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I use to use mechanical's one my compound and really liked them. When I switched to crossbow I had heard the the mechanical's would/could open mid flight as well as they would/could open if you shoot through mesh on a blind. Anyone have experience with either one of these happening?
    "No one's interested in something you didn't do"

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyObsessed View Post
    I use to use mechanical's one my compound and really liked them. When I switched to crossbow I had heard the the mechanical's would/could open mid flight as well as they would/could open if you shoot through mesh on a blind. Anyone have experience with either one of these happening?
    This is one of my concerns also.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I use Grim Reaper 125gr on my crossbow and 100gr on my Bowtech Revolt. They are simply devastating ( spring black bear with crossbow ). I HIGHLY recommend them.
    Hopefully this video works ( an older video but you will get the idea ).

https://youtu.be/qZOnwNS_cPw

Just starting out

User Info Menu

There's more to it than just broadhead weight. It depends on what bolts you're using, if they are the excalibur bolts with aluminum inserts don't go lower than a 125 grain point and the 150's are better. If you go aftermarket with Black Eagle Executioner's and brass inserts, that opens up a whole lot of other options for broadheads. Biggest issue is don't go too light in total weight of bolt/broadhead combination.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wrastler View Post
    Ive tried the Excalibur brand mechanical in my xbow and compound but they made a weird hissing sound in flight I thought would increase string jump. Not sure if all mechanicals are like this or those are unique but I would stay away from excalibur's mechanical BH. The fixed blade is quiet and very accurate. IMO mechanicals are prone to failure that fixed BH just isnt subjected to. Those rage hypodermic leave an awesome blood trail though and some of the other 2 blade mechanical ones ive seen. Too bad I have trust issues with them lol
    I switched to the Excalibur mechanical 3 years ago for my crossbow, and live them! Great wound channel, and no deer went more than 25 yds after a hit!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Ok so soon I’ll need to get some broad heads again. Always used Excalibur bolt cutters

Never have had penetration problems

All shots are thru a screen

Stick with what’s been working ?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I would stick with what works. I'll be getting more boltcutters, down to 2 since drilling one into a tree after going through a deer a couple weeks ago. I've never had great blood trails but the deer never go far enough that i've had to track much so I'll keep using them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123