Thread: Rain Gear

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Default Rain Gear

hey guys, just looking for some feedback on rain gear. I have a decent set, pants and jacket at the cottage, but looking for something a bit more rugged. I'm heading out on a fly in up near Wawa Sept 12, and was hoping to get some ideas before hand. Amazon seems to have a few decent looking ones like frogg I think it is, but does anyone have experience with these? I'm ok to get either bibs and jacket or pants and jacket, but want something durable and possibly breathable. Any info is appreciated.
    Scott
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

If you are wanting gear that is hunting oriented as well, have a look at First Lite Seak series. I am pretty happy with them. I have been in more wet snow than actual rain, but was dry underneath even walking/busting through balsam in those conditions. They have some cheaper options but the seak are the most robust.

I am moving away from Sitka and now getting pretty much all First Lite. I had a very bad experience with shipping and unexpected duties that doubled the price of the Sitka garment.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Is the First Lite Seak series available in Canada, Chesapeake? I thought Sitka could be purchased out of BC ?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Not sure about BC.

Every time I've ordered from First Lite when they calculate the shipping costs online that is the price I've paid. No hidden fees or duties being applied from the courier.

My last purchase was his and hers Sawtooth jackets, a blaze hat and some merino gloves. Shipping was $70. I had the order in 4 business days.

My last experience with Sitka was around mothers day. Women's "hiking" pants. Paid the high price. Paid Sitka shipping rates. Admittedly less than 70, but still alot. Tracked package a week after expected delivery date. Found out it was being held at courier until I paid an invoice for an additional $120 Canadian. I was nearly into $400 for non Goretex pants for the wife. I don't think she likes them either. (Face in palms) She grabs the First Lite guide pant for grocery trips, car rides, everyday wear all the time. Sitka sit folded nicely in closet.

First Lite does put stuff on sale if you watch the site or sign up to email. Sawtooth s were just 20 or 25 percent off.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Last years deer with the Seak jacket/bibs and rocking them in Ompah with the family. I wear the jacket all the time with appropriate layering.

Merino hat is goofy looking but I would rate it 5 stars big time.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Right on, that's the info I was looking for, thank you
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

20 percent sale being released today. Think its over quick.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I used a pair of Goretex bibs and they keep me quite dry - they are bright Orange but they were on sale!! I went to Little Miss on the same week you are going and I was comfortable in these with long underwear, wool socks and rubber boots. Up top I wore a base layer, a light down 1/4 zip pull over or a hoodie, and a North Face rain jacket, toque and fingerless gloves.

Have a fantastic trip - John

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Holy even at 20% off the prices make you catch your breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Yes. Expensive but I have been very happy with the quality.

Don't tell the wife... I ordered a camo seak to wear hunting. My solid brown will go from hunting/casual to a casual only.