Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Get Over How Effective Lead Core Is

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Can't Get Over How Effective Lead Core Is

For years I've fished lakers with the same old, same old method of dragging a weighted Williams with a trailer and cheater hook around the lake using a mono line. I've always done very well using this method but this summer got the bone to try something different by going to lead core. In the last 3 trips to one local lake I picked up 5 the first time out, my partner zero. The second day out I picked up 6, my partner zero and again today I got 3 then gave my partner my rod and he picked up the forth one tooty sweet. Only hassle I find with the stuff is that it deadens the fight to the point where you aren't even sure if the fish is still on or not after the initial hit. Of course, when I get to the last 30 ft of fluoro leader then the fight begins.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Switched from steel line to lead core this year for fishing lakers out of a canoe and like it. Was always told the lead core would not get as deep as the steel line but found it went deeper. Worked great and no worries about kinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Lead core has been popular on Lake Erie for walleye for quite some time. I had rods rigged with 7, 8, 9, and 10 colour lead core. The biggest beef was reeling in 10 colours of line. 300 feet of line involves a lot of reeling, even when using a large framed reel. How many colours do you use for trout?
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I just bought the Suffix 10 color (although my wife shortened that down to 6 colors today using the o/b prop) and thats more than enough for the lake trout lakes in most Shield waters. I'm usually letting out 4 or 5 colors when my fish finder is showing 40 to 60 ft of water. I also have a leader of flouro about 20 ft in length.

Swims with the Fishes

User Info Menu

Never tried it but old mike ( roe ) has me set on trying it next spring
    That rug really tied the room together

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Lead is deadly. I use it for a lot of things. Lakers for sure, and recently, its becoming a go to walleye rig.

S.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

The big thing with lead core is it imparts action on the spoon as it's pulled through the water and not just getting the lure deeper.
    The lead core line will actually move up & down and side to side to a certain degree.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Lol. A little late to that boat, arnet you?

I figured an old fart like yourself would have been trolling lead or steel long ago.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Re: "deadens the fight" - you need to use lighter line. The lightest leadcore is 18lb, then 27lb. I use 18lb on a medium heavy action rod and you still feel everything. Switch to 36 or 45 lb with a broom stick rod and it takes all the fun out of it. Fantastic for splake and brookies that hang at 20ft in the summer.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

F, I'm using the 18 and 27 lb test on my Penn 209's and both rods are actually quite nice when it comes to action, not too stiff and not too whimpy. Both are hand made rods so I've long since forgotten what their blanks were but they were originally bought with handling smaller lakers in mind. I find the line reacts in the same way as dragging a No. 1 Big Hammer does. The very weight of the line or drag of the lure is what you end up fighting.
    I grew up using copper wire on my dads old trolling reel, circa 1930. Kinks and backlashes were no stranger when using that line so that's why I got away from using weighted lines. Besides, rowing an old home made rowboat and towing 100 yards of copper around was a daunting task for a 12 yr old. So, right now I can't wait til open water this coming spring. Those lakers are going to take a bruising once I refine my methods and baits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast