Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't Get Over How Effective Lead Core Is

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    F, I'm using the 18 and 27 lb test on my Penn 209's and both rods are actually quite nice when it comes to action, not too stiff and not too whimpy. Both are hand made rods so I've long since forgotten what their blanks were but they were originally bought with handling smaller lakers in mind. I find the line reacts in the same way as dragging a No. 1 Big Hammer does. The very weight of the line or drag of the lure is what you end up fighting.
    I grew up using copper wire on my dads old trolling reel, circa 1930. Kinks and backlashes were no stranger when using that line so that's why I got away from using weighted lines. Besides, rowing an old home made rowboat and towing 100 yards of copper around was a daunting task for a 12 yr old. So, right now I can't wait til open water this coming spring. Those lakers are going to take a bruising once I refine my methods and baits.
    You bring back memories Sawbill. I too was a helper while dad trolled Lake Of Bays for the lakers. That was in the late 50's and it wasn't too long after that he switched to Monel, which I think is a Nickle / Copper line. I still have his banjo style trolling rods and a couple of stiff riggs with Penn reels loaded with monel. I have never had the desire to fish them. Sometimes I think I was his partner so he could double his limit. I do remember the "snap" when you knew you had the right speed and jigging action on the williams spoon.
    Last edited by TroutSlayer; November 22nd, 2020 at 02:56 PM.

TS

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I grew up fishing steel line or lead from canoes in Algonquin. One guy paddling, two guys facing backwards fishing. On the right lake a 6 fish limit can be had in very short order.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

'Monel' There's a term I haven't heard in a long time. It's right up there with Whiz Bang.
    Other than shingling the roof at camp come spring the top item on my bucket list is to take my dad's trolling reel down off the camp wall and try to catch one more laker with it, copper wire and all. But I think I'll forego rowing the boat like I used to and use the 9.9. Nostalgia only goes so far.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

There is a learning curve to using monel. Once you get the hang of it , great way to catch lakers. Had a great teacher, Len Vellow , I'll swear he could catch them in a bath tub. Good luck, old243

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

We have lead core rods set up for both lake Ontario and lake Erie.
    Always run one rod with it beside the down rigger.the other side has a rod set up for dipsy divers to run next to the downrigger.wjen running 4rods.
    Lead core always performs well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12