Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast iron welding - Ottawa

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Heat part up, tig it with the proper filler rod, cool part down slowly. Dig a hole in sand and cover.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

So when people say it may crack again, is this during the initial cooling process, or is it more likely while it is in use?
    I actually had the parts welded between starting this thread and the first response. The welds look solid, but I haven't used them in the stove yet. All of the parts will be subjected to heat, but they won't cause the stove to fall over if they recrack. Parts for this stove are no longer available.
    There is another part that I need to have welded, but I still have to see if I can get it off the stove.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

If it’s a part of the stove that heats and cools. It will likely crack.

Is it a crack or a complete break making two parts crack should have a hole drilled at each end of it before welding this helps to stop the crack

If it’s a leg hard to tell without pictures but you may be able to build a leg out of steel and use the cast as a skirt

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

It was a break in the part of the grate that supports the logs as they burn. It is the sliding piece that you use to control the air flow, so it is not actually supporting the logs. I will give it a try and hopefully it will stay together.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I would just keep an eye on it. It could last forever.
    I've never fixed a stove, but had to repair a lot of different things that are subject to far harsher conditions (industrial), most of them last just fine. I find cracking more common if the repair is on a part bolted to another because they expand and contract at different rates. If whoever welded it took the time to use all the usual tricks, that's the best you can do.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Ditto on Camoman. I can't comment on a stove but I've had a welder do repairs on 1930's seed drill drop tubes. What they call "dirty" low grade cast. It's just a matter of using the correct rod and doing the "cherry red" preheat properly to the right temp. He never did the sand cool-down but that's an excellent idea . I've never had any of his welds break and the drill gets the crap pounded out of it. He also does cracked engine blocks like this.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

If it’s the part I’m thinking of I would think you could get one made that will work, it’s not going to last forever either but it will work for a good while

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MoiraView View Post
    If it’s the part I’m thinking of I would think you could get one made that will work, it’s not going to last forever either but it will work for a good while
    I am considering getting a couple of these important parts made - it probably wouldn't be difficult to make them for someone with the right tools. The issue would be the cost, especially considering that I have seen similar wood cookstoves on kijiji for under $500.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12