Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: thoughts on shooting a cow?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Technically if you look back in history everyone's family has had their land taken at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by alfoldivandor View Post
    Unregulated ...?! It is Their Land ... Their Own land
    if you are thinking about First Nation ...
    Have you ever your own land taken away from you ...?
    Beside that what is the Percentage and number of the first nation population in Ontario
    And what is the number of the rest of the hunters who hunt Moose ... in Ontario ?
    Be realistic do your home work and you will have a tag ...! To hunt Moose ...
    6 of us and have 2 cow tag in our group this year , and we had tags in the past 15 years ,
    yes we only was successful once with cow and calf , (but that is our inexperience and skill..)
    but we enjoyed going hunting every year ...!
    And that is matter ...

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Unregulated ...?! It is Their Land ... Their Own land
    if you are thinking about First Nation ...
    Have you ever your own land taken away from you ...?
    Beside that what is the Percentage and number of the first nation population in Ontario
    And what is the number of the rest of the hunters who hunt Moose ... in Ontario ?
    Be realistic do your home work and you will have a tag ...! To hunt Moose ...
    6 of us and have 2 cow tag in our group this year , and we had tags in the past 15 years ,
    yes we only was successful once with cow and calf , (but that is our inexperience and skill..)
    but we enjoyed going hunting every year ...!
    And that is matter ...
    I guess your opinion is based on your week long yearly visit to the Moose woods?
    Some of us work and live here year long and see first hand the real issues.
    As far as the “Land”, it belongs to the Province of Ontario, which means the Ontario taxpayers. The government officials are supposed to be managing it on our behalf.
    It looks like your ultimate goal is for you and your group to get as many cow tags as you can to help the declining Moose population!
    Thanks, that’s all that really matters.....
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; September 12th, 2020 at 08:47 AM.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    I’ve said it many times before. Sadly, it doesn’t matter what license hunters do! Our Moose herd is doomed! There is simply too many unregulated hunters doing what the hell they want. Once it gets bad enough, they might do something about it, hopefully it won’t be too late.
    ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I’ve said it many times before. Sadly, it doesn’t matter what license hunters do! Our Moose herd is doomed! There is simply too many unregulated hunters doing what the hell they want. Once it gets bad enough, they might do something about it, hopefully it won’t be too late.
    Yeah, every year for the last 27 we have been going to wmu 03, the last few years we have stopped for gas at a couple of FN stations where gas is usually 10 to 15 cents a litre cheaper, at the junction of 11 and 17 in Nipigon, across the street from the gas station there are houses with several meat poles and every year there has been from 4 to 6 moose hanging from these poles! all cows and calves no bulls, this is just what we can see from that little bit of road on the rez, this is also about 8 or 9 days before the gun season opens in that area, so no mystery why moose are hard to find!!!!
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

As far as the “Land”, it belongs to the Province of Ontario, which means the Ontario taxpayers. The government officials are supposed to be managing it on our behalf.
    Amen....

Apprentice

User Info Menu

To respond to the original post questions. Yes, you can find a cow without a calf, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a calf bedded near by. Many times I’ve seen a lone cow in the daytime, but see cow with calf tracks in the same area. I don’t know how a calf will react if you take the cow. What I do know is if you take the calf, the cow will stay near by and bawl. My thoughts are to take the calf first if you can and hope for a bull tag next time. Good luck!!

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Lets not get off track here .
    This thread is not about bashing the native rights.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Yes you are right . Not about Native rights .

It is about killing all the Moose bulls only ...

"To save the Moose population ...."

Quote Originally Posted by JUDGE View Post
    Lets not get off track here .
    This thread is not about bashing the native rights.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yes you are right . Not about Native rights .

It is about killing all the Moose bulls only ...

"To save the Moose population ...."
    Bulls can breed when they are 2 years old. So if you don't shoot calves, In a year there could be another bull that can reproduce. Or it could be a cow that gets bred when she's 16-28months old and has MORE moose.

A cow might have 1-10 calves in her lifetime. Every calf she has, That is female, could produce another 1-10 moose in its lifetime.

You look at the way the Yukon, NWT and Alaska regulates moose.
    They sure as hell aren't handing out cow and calf tags so hunter's can go kill the breeding stock.

I swear Ontario is trying to keep the moose population down for the deer/caribou/ or God knows what else.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234