Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Bear bait placement law for those unaware....

  1. #1
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default Bear bait placement law for those unaware....

    The MNR thought it'd be funny to not mention this as a change to their law on bait placement. They place a "new" highlight on all the other changes in regulation, both in the section that pertains to the animal and on the introduction. This change is that baits must be placed 30m from a road/right of way instead of the 200m last year (still 500m for buildings and 400m for dumps). They did however remember to mention the changes in restrictions for bear hunting in zones 82A, 83 and 84. You could say I found this out the sweaty/hard way.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MihajloSimsic View Post
    The MNR thought it'd be funny to not mention this as a change to their law on bait placement. They place a "new" highlight on all the other changes in regulation, both in the section that pertains to the animal and on the introduction. This change is that baits must be placed 30m from a road/right of way instead of the 200m last year (still 500m for buildings and 400m for dumps). They did however remember to mention the changes in restrictions for bear hunting in zones 82A, 83 and 84. You could say I found this out the sweaty/hard way.
    Yeah so did I man. Everytime I go to rebait I walk past a couple spots at the 50m mark that I would have preferred. Although I went up last weekend and despite being 1km away from a building if they are partying all long weekend at that building....the bears ain't showing up in daylight anyhow. I hope you have better luck than I. A lot of work went into getting some trail cam pics that's about it. Lol

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Bait placement is clearly written on pg.79 of the Black Bear section in this year's issue of The Summary.
    Remember May 1,2020 when they say "We don't want your hunting guns".

  5. #4
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Bait placement is clearly written on pg.79 of the Black Bear section in this year's issue of The Summary.
    The issue isn't that it's not written down. The issue is that they are supposed to highlight all new regulations, which they do. You can't expect people to notice a change in a fine-print number, especially when the MNR basically says "nothing new here, move along". They have to highlight changes in regulation.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

  6. #5
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MihajloSimsic View Post
    The issue isn't that it's not written down. The issue is that they are supposed to highlight all new regulations, which they do. You can't expect people to notice a change in a fine-print number, especially when the MNR basically says "nothing new here, move along". They have to highlight changes in regulation.
    This change has been talked about for awhile now? I think it's actually old news for quite a few people. Most certainly, it's up to the hunter to familiarise themselves with any and all regulations pertaining to the species they are hunting? Kinda goes without saying in the hunting fraternity.
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

  7. #6
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    This change has been talked about for awhile now? I think it's actually old news for quite a few people. Most certainly, it's up to the hunter to familiarise themselves with any and all regulations pertaining to the species they are hunting? Kinda goes without saying in the hunting fraternity.
    Yes , anyone that hunts bear and follows the regs has seen this. Having a bow that shoots a 100 yards why go so deep? More intersested , if our deer have been baited in chatham on the crown piece?

  8. #7
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MihajloSimsic View Post
    The issue isn't that it's not written down. The issue is that they are supposed to highlight all new regulations, which they do. You can't expect people to notice a change in a fine-print number, especially when the MNR basically says "nothing new here, move along". They have to highlight changes in regulation.
    The Regulation does not hide any info .No fine prints either.
    There is a clear chapter in it about this: Black bear-Black bear hunting regulations-Bait placement.
    All on the same page.All titles bold letters.

    Not sure what else MNRF would need to do ,to make this info more accessible?
    Last edited by gbk; September 9th, 2020 at 09:10 PM.

  9. #8
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shedherder View Post
    Yes , anyone that hunts bear and follows the regs has seen this. Having a bow that shoots a 100 yards why go so deep? More intersested , if our deer have been baited in chatham on the crown piece?
    I don't see how that has anything to do with bear baiting. Looks like I have a fan though! I'm flattered that my posts take up so many of your thoughts but I'm not very interested in your opinionated dogmatic views, apologies.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

  10. #9
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    The Regulation does not hide any info .No fine prints either.
    There is a clear chapter in it about this: Black bear-Black bear hunting regulations-Bait placement.
    All on the same page.All titles bold letters.

    Not sure what else MNRF would need to do ,to make this info more accessible?
    It's not that it's not accessible. When the MNR states that new regulations will be highlighted, and something is not highlighted it's not unreasonable to assume that there's nothing new in that section. Basically someone saying "on my mark" without ever actually saying "go". I'd prefer that they don't highlight new regulations at all if they wont highlight all new regulations. Just a pet peeve if I'm being honest.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

  11. #10
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    They changed this rule last season. Old news... lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •