Thread: Anybody hunt bear in Zone 55A (south of Algonquin)?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Anybody hunt bear in Zone 55A (south of Algonquin)?

I've been outback backpacking and camping in zone 55A for years now, I found a bear sign while bushwhacking to a small lake around Bark Lake this spring. It's a great place to set up camp and I know the area well enough so I thought it'd be an option. Not looking for spots or anything obviously. Just wondering if anyone has taken any bear in zone 55A and if it was in the fall or spring season.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Bumped
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Ah 55A!

My deer hunting started in 55A. Organized rifle hunt camp using hounds. Stayed in an off grid cabin with 12 other hunters. I think 11 of them were chain smokers in the cabin!! :0(

Beautiful country with not many deer. lol
    I learned a lot in those 4 years. Mainly what not to do...

I didn't see any bears but that was probably because of the hounds...

So glad I found 92B...

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    Ah 55A!

My deer hunting started in 55A. Organized rifle hunt camp using hounds. Stayed in an off grid cabin with 12 other hunters. I think 11 of them were chain smokers in the cabin!! :0(

So glad I found 92B...
    Yeah I never saw any deer there either while camping haha. I'll probably place a bait near where I found the bear sign on thanksgiving weekend. Thanks for the info! Probably didn't see anything because of those chain smokers haha. If you ever do plan on another deer hunt up north I'd probably recommend the North Bay area. Went for bear there last year, nothing but racoons and Deer haha!
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    Ah 55A!

So glad I found 92B...
    There's no deer here! Wiped out by Corona! No use looking, move along, lol.

Hunting can be tough but rewarding when you connect.

To the OP, I have hunted and taken bear on the shores of Bark Lake but its not easy going, the big guys have their wits about them due to the pressure they receive.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    There's no deer here! Wiped out by Corona! No use looking, move along, lol.

Hunting can be tough but rewarding when you connect.

To the OP, I have hunted and taken bear on the shores of Bark Lake but its not easy going, the big guys have their wits about them due to the pressure they receive.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah those big guys like to disapear during legal time. Tbh the most challenging part I'd assume is navigating the extremely dense brush. Very unnerving bushwacking that area at twighlight especially when the brush is up to your armpits. Me and two buddies bushwacked 1km over a large hill to a small lake north of Bark Lake and found fresh bear scat on my our way back.

Edit: One last question, how's the fishing on the North side of Bark Lake during October? I've heard it's a great lake for walleye, white fish, and lake trout (caught a couple whitefish late spring there on Cleos). I plan on going to deep water with worm harnesses.
    Last edited by MihajloSimsic; September 19th, 2020 at 03:09 PM.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MihajloSimsic View Post
    Thanks for the tips! Yeah those big guys like to disapear during legal time. Tbh the most challenging part I'd assume is navigating the extremely dense brush. Very unnerving bushwacking that area at twighlight especially when the brush is up to your armpits. Me and two buddies bushwacked 1km over a large hill to a small lake north of Bark Lake and found fresh bear scat on my our way back.

Edit: One last question, how's the fishing on the North side of Bark Lake during October? I've heard it's a great lake for walleye, white fish, and lake trout (caught a couple whitefish late spring there on Cleos). I plan on going to deep water with worm harnesses.
    Walleye fishing has been slow all year from what I have been told, should pick up soon I would imagine. I did well this spring for Lakers albeit none were monsters.

I ran into a rather large bear this afternoon while fetching a downed duck, only problem with him is that he was crapping out plastic bags. I think I will let the dump bears alone.

How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    Walleye fishing has been slow all year from what I have been told, should pick up soon I would imagine. I did well this spring for Lakers albeit none were monsters.

I ran into a rather large bear this afternoon while fetching a downed duck, only problem with him is that he was crapping out plastic bags. I think I will let the dump bears alone.

Think of it in a positive way, he technically cleans up after himself if his crap is already in a bag haha! I think I remember someone telling me walleye was going slow last time I visited there. I will definitely bring my hummingbird there in that case. I'm definitely hoping for some whitefish and lakers. Thanks for the pointers!
    - Theodore Roosevelt