Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Tree stand vs ground stand

Elite Member

User Info Menu

not sure if i agree to much with the whole scent control thing, my whole group smokes, in the video i posted earlier (i think on page 2) i was smoking and had a brand new burlap ontop of me, now granted it does look like that deer did catch wind of me there, but at the same time doesn't look like they were in that much of a hurry to get outa there too.
    i know theres a whole debate on the smoking thing and we could go on for days back and fourth on that topic. :P

we usually crack open our blinds in the backyard and air them out for a couple days and spray down the blinds, thats usually the most well end up doing.

Hey we got two 9 points out of it last year, would have had a doe too but i aimed just a hair to high on her and missed.

whatever works right?!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    A word of caution with ground blinds, As good as they can be comfort and movement wise they are still no substitute for hunting the wind, even those carbon impregnated material ones. I've been busted on a cold December late afternoon when it seemed like there wasn't a breeze. Like three times in the next forty minutes I heard snorting. I don't smoke, I'm always finicky about scent control including fresh shower with no scent soaps and all the spray precautions before I leave the vehicle. I don't use heaters, there is always an odor from combustion. I have a extra large set of mitts with 6hr hand warmers in my coat pockets and good thinsulate shooting gloves on for when it comes time for action. Along with with good boots and foot warmers over the toes between a pair of wool socks and you can last a long time, in a blind or not. Depending on the property it makes you much more mobile to hunt elsewhere as conditions change too. I've parked my butt on or with a small folding camping seat and the ground in a little hollow on a hump or up beside a tree or boulder countless times exploring new expanding territory on crown land over the many years we hunted there. I always carry a small camping folding seat and arse heater bag in a haversack. You remember those ones with the chains? You can still get them in the US, come with a carry bag too. I guess what I'm also saying is don't get locked in on a spot just because you have a ground blind or tree stand there. You can have a stand in the hardwoods that might only be good when acorns are falling for a week. It really pays to be versatile.

Cheers
    Funny you put it that way... for all the hours I've spent on tree stands and ground blind placement and clearing shooting lanes, most of the deer I've shot have been while sitting beside a tree or on a knoll in an armless camp chair. Sometimes on a new deer trail I found the day before or a spot that seems to have more activity than where we might have a stand.

I'd guess half or more have been while hunting from a chair on the ground, 1/4 from built wooden stands, the last quarter from ladder stands and ground blinds.

Totally agree with you and the others here when it comes to versatility. Nothing like finding a good looking spot one day and shooting a deer there that evening or the next morning.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bowjob View Post
    not sure if i agree to much with the whole scent control thing, my whole group smokes, in the video i posted earlier (i think on page 2) i was smoking and had a brand new burlap ontop of me, now granted it does look like that deer did catch wind of me there, but at the same time doesn't look like they were in that much of a hurry to get outa there too.
    i know theres a whole debate on the smoking thing and we could go on for days back and fourth on that topic. [emoji14]

we usually crack open our blinds in the backyard and air them out for a couple days and spray down the blinds, thats usually the most well end up doing.

Hey we got two 9 points out of it last year, would have had a doe too but i aimed just a hair to high on her and missed.

whatever works right?!
    Young fawns and does can be oblivious to alot of things that mature bucks and does catch onto quickly. Scent control is important for after the hunt moreso then during the hunt. During the hunt you can play the wind, after the hunt is another story. A deer that walks in your scent cone will pick up on the foreign smells and it can affect deer movement in the area for quite some time. Reducing your scent (eliminating it is impossible) is a good practice. The less scent you leave in an area the better chances the deer wont catch onto a hunter being around. A deer that smells a strong human presence is less likely to return anytime soon to the area but if there is just a bit of scent, they wont necessarily be as alarmed. Check out Ken Nordberg on YouTube, hes a wildlife researcher and deer hunter of 60 years experience, this guy knows his stuff and has greatly studied the affect that humans have on deer and deer movement.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I fell asleep in my tree stand..hell, i fell asleep in my ground blind too. But i didnt have as far to fall at least. I guess my snoring must sound like a grunt and the chair made a rattling sound cuz I got a nice buck that morning.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456