Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Radios to Communicate with Hunting Party

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    That’s why we back up with signal shots....
    Still is not a guaranteed method, but one way.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

If you hear a shot in the general area where your group is hunting, you have to assume it’s one of your group member that shot. Radio or not, you need to confirm before anyone in the group shoots another.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    If you hear a shot in the general area where your group is hunting, you have to assume it’s one of your group member that shot. Radio or not, you need to confirm before anyone in the group shoots another.
    Exactly, I was watching a big bull coming towards my call, when one of our guys shot in the next block. I had a good shot at this bull but obviously held off. Next I heard the signal shots for a bull, and we were done....the radios lit up at the same time. We only turn them on when we hear a shot.
    You just have to be careful ....still, chit happens !!
    I heard of a group, one member shot at a bull, goes and checks, tells his group that he missed... well, another guy shot a bull. The first guy did more checking and found the first bull.....oops !
    They self reported and paid a 400$ fine....
    Last edited by rick_iles; September 14th, 2020 at 12:03 PM.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Count another vote for Midland Cobra. Our crew used them for years and were never let down. We had 10 hunters spread out over swamps and across mountains 8km long. The downside was that hunters on the far ends couldn't hear shots fired at the ends. We used a relay system with tag holders on the center watches which worked quite well. As Rick mentioned,we had several close calls over the years. Rapid communication made for no screw ups.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Count another vote for Midland Cobra. Our crew used them for years and were never let down. We had 10 hunters spread out over swamps and across mountains 8km long. The downside was that hunters on the far ends couldn't hear shots fired at the ends. We used a relay system with tag holders on the center watches which worked quite well. As Rick mentioned,we had several close calls over the years. Rapid communication made for no screw ups.
    Yep, the relay system is the way to go. Two party members might not be able to hear each other, but as long as a message can be relayed throughout the group you can minimize your chances at a mistake. On a windy day in open cuts, shots can go unheard from relatively close distances. It's a good idea for everyone to check in as quietly as possible once you're set up so you can determine whether or not you need to relay a message if there's shooting.

The closest we ever came to an "oops" was when one particular member of the group who "doesn't like radios" shot a small bull at first light on opening day. We knew the shot came from close enough to be our group, and as we frantically tried to get some information from the guy who did the shooting (we assumed), a much bigger bull walked out in front of my brother. He had the good sense to lay off the trigger until the guy finally let us know what was happening, but it was close. Turns out the guy had the bull down from the moment he shot, but had other moose in the area (that we did not have tags for) that he didn't want to spook by getting on the radio. Probably a 20 minute window from the time he shot until he let us know. Needless to say, we don't hunt with him anymore.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you are looking at those 2 way radios from Canadian Tire, walmart etc, I have owned almost all of them and none work very well. I live on a road that fits the ideal conditions list on the back and my radios are rated for 30 km's we couldn't get past 3 km's. You need 5 watts at the minimum and the only thing available in Canada are Marine radios.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Having a few different options( listen for signal shots, Radios, smoke signals what ever) and common sense is the best way to avoid an oops.

If your using radio, be sure people know how to use them. For example Karen is bad for turning the squelch all the way up ( volume and squelch controls on the same shafts) and not being able to hear.

Just a small misplacement of her fingers and she can't hear.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Still is not a guaranteed method, but one way.
    I can attest to this!

I must have flung 30 arrows in the air, nobody came to help.....

I have used the "illegal radios" with good success, I really don't think you need to worry about the feds bothering you up near Longlac.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterrev View Post
    We will be hunting cuts where there is no cell phone reception, north of Long Lac. Only two trucks with three ATV's and two canoes, so we will not be out of range to hear each party shoot. I'm sure the GMRS radios would work just fine, was wondering about the Spot X also, to send a message home or in case of emergencies also.

I think we'll invest in a good set of radios and go from there.

We have a Bull and a Cow tag!
    You should be fine with your radios. We have always hunted 21A or 21B and never had a problem with the cheap Cobra radios. We have had a dozen hunters in the Caramat Camp.
    TS

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TroutSlayer View Post
    You should be fine with your radios. We have always hunted 21A or 21B and never had a problem with the cheap Cobra radios. We have had a dozen hunters in the Caramat Camp.
    Yup, we hunted 21a also and could definitely get enough range to keep in contact. I want to say 5-8 kms.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast