Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lead Bullet Process Centre

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I just traded two 8# downrigger cannonballs. For 16 1# lead ingots and .429 diameter 200 grain round nose bullet lee mold

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    See I go the other way, I’d prefer a harder bullet. I had a custom LBT mold made for me by Veral Smith. Hardball casts to 365 with GC.
    Beautiful bullet!

I’ll check my plethora of moulds and if I have a .452 you can have it. I don’t cast that size anymore.
    Depends on how fast you are hitting the animal.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

With the warmer weather, I've been in the barn doing up some of the raw lead into ingots for the Lee Pot.

This is about 1/2 of what I have to do up. There is about 110lb here ( 90 x 1lb 4 oz each).

Roughly, each Ingot will make x16 .425 gr Minnie balls or each ingot equals a day on the range

Last edited by MikePal; March 17th, 2022 at 04:22 PM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

MikePal
    Looks like you got a good cooking recipe on the go.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    That would work well. Have you slugged that bore? If so what did it show?
    Sorry I miss your inquiry on this, i just came across it today. The .303 in question is a Pattern 1914 Eddystone the bore on these rifle run in the .312 -.313 range. I haven't slug the barrel but the bullet sized to .314 shoots well in it with the right powder combination. I have a Winchester version of the same model and it scatter the same round. To get any accuracy with the latter I size down a plain base 160 grain .32 caliber bullet to .314 and lowered the velocity. I came across another Eddystone of the same model and it seems to handle the first gas checked 205 grain well. The Winchester version has prove to be something of a puzzlement, it maybe that it was bored to .313 while the others are .312.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I have about 75 lbs of soft lead to process, I sourced it from diver belt weights pick up at an auction ($5 for 40lbs) and about 35lbs from a fiend of the wife's who gave me the lead they use for doing stained glass windows..I gave her a big hug

A follow up to this...

So far I have processed 160 lbs of the lead I had accumulated and have another 50 lbs to process yet.

The diver's belts actually yielded about x45 Ingots (20 oz) and the pencil hardness test determined they were 11-12 BN.

The stain glass lead yielded x30 ingots at 14 oz each (different mold) . The nice thing, that lead tested 'pure" in the hardness test. Soft as the come !!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    Sorry I miss your inquiry on this, i just came across it today. The .303 in question is a Pattern 1914 Eddystone the bore on these rifle run in the .312 -.313 range. I haven't slug the barrel but the bullet sized to .314 shoots well in it with the right powder combination. I have a Winchester version of the same model and it scatter the same round. To get any accuracy with the latter I size down a plain base 160 grain .32 caliber bullet to .314 and lowered the velocity. I came across another Eddystone of the same model and it seems to handle the first gas checked 205 grain well. The Winchester version has prove to be something of a puzzlement, it maybe that it was bored to .313 while the others are .312.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    Good stuff!!!!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    A follow up to this...

So far I have processed 160 lbs of the lead I had accumulated and have another 50 lbs to process yet.

The diver's belts actually yielded about x45 Ingots (20 oz) and the pencil hardness test determined they were 11-12 BN.

The stain glass lead yielded x30 ingots at 14 oz each (different mold) . The nice thing, that lead tested 'pure" in the hardness test. Soft as the come !!
    That should last you about a weekend eh?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123