Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to start out geese hunting

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Looking to start out geese hunting

Hello guys,

I spend a lot of my free time outdoors, always taking the opportunity to scout for deer, small game, turkey and uplands

I recently came across a couple of good spots with geese and ducks

I have all I need for duck hunting and a couple of friends who hunt ducks to guide me through, but nothing for geese

I'd like some advice on geese hunting:

Decoys: floating, field
    Approach, time of the day
    Basic call skills
    Spread arrangement techniques
    Etc...

I should note that I have a retriever and a boat (fishing), but I plan on doing mostly walk in hunts
    I am looking for anything basic just to get me started, and I will pick it up along the way (even looking to buy used decoys, as new ones are ungodly expensive)

Thanks in advance
    Mike
    Last edited by mikedinoro; September 14th, 2020 at 09:40 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

give a shout 613-863-5483 I can help you with locations on public lands around Ottawa for those hunts.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedinoro View Post
    Hello guys,

I spend a lot of my free time outdoors, always taking the opportunity to scout for deer, small game, turkey and uplands

I have all I need for duck hunting and a couple of friends who hunt ducks to guide me through, but nothing for geese

Basic call skills
    Etc...

I should note that I have a retriever and a boat (fishing), but I plan on doing mostly walk in hunts
    I am looking for anything basic just to get me started, and I will pick it up along the way (even looking to buy used decoys, as new ones are ungodly expensive)

Thanks in advance
    Mike
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Scout facebook marketplace and kijiji daily for decoys. A lot comes up everyday, i seen some decent deals just in the last few days.

For set up/calling watch youtube videos. Lots of good info out there.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikedinoro View Post
    Hello guys,

Basic call skills
    Etc...

Thanks in advance
    Mike
    Pick your poison with goose hunting. You can hunt essentially all day, whether it's field or on water. Decoy set up should always take the wind direction into consideration as they want to land flying into the wind. Geese roost on water and usually head to the fields for breakfast, roost/rest mid-day and hit the fields again before dark. So you can hunt on water or fields pretty much any time of the day and might have luck. If field hunting, make sure you have a good layout blind and try to eliminate shadows as much as possible. You want to be in the middle or very close to your decoys to allow for close range shooting. As for decoys, I just bought a 4 pack of goose shells from Canadian Tire for $64. Not really the best deal but a good starter option. Sail currently has a 12 pack of goose shells (field decoys) for $119 and as mentioned keep your eye on Kijiji. You don't need to break the bank to goose hunt. I've sat over a freshly cut corn field with no blind or decoys and killed geese before. You have an even better chance over water as they leave in the AM or come back mid-day/evening. No decoys required, although better to have some.

Note, I don't have a layout blind at the moment so I stick to tree lines and ditches where I field hunt. Set up my decoys about 20 yards away and hope to convince geese to fly in. As for calling techniques/tips, Youtube is your best friend. You can find all kinds of calling tutorials and tips for anything waterfowl related. Best advice is stick to the basics and master the honk and cluck/moan. Don't over do it.

Let me know if you ever want to get out for a hunt, I'm in the London area and field hunt near Thorndale.
    Last edited by anfield21; September 15th, 2020 at 09:19 AM.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by anfield21 View Post

Note, I don't have a layout blind at the moment so I stick to tree lines and ditches where I field hunt.
    Easy enough to jerry rig a layout on the cheap. small "A" frame plywood backrest, ground sheet(I've used a inflatable sleeping bag pad. Large sheet of burlap with veg thrown over and you are good. As far as decoys don't need to buy 'em. Once you figure out where the birds are going an invite posted here should get you offers of equipment use at your picking.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Some apps are great to figure out which way the geese are gunna be coming from along with the wind direction etc

This screen shot is from an app called

"Huntstand"SmartSelect_20200915-113411.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/f...0799p.html#srp

I just got these and put 3/4 pipe insulation on the bottom with zip ties so I can use them in both the field and water, hey it's a start.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sash View Post
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/f...0799p.html#srp

I just got these and put 3/4 pipe insulation on the bottom with zip ties so I can use them in both the field and water, hey it's a start.
    I have a different brand but did the same trick. They work fine for me. Just can't throw them out like a regular floater, you have to place them nicely right side up that's the only difference I've found.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Gents,
    Apologize for the late reply, been dealing with a little Covid scare as one of my client's staff got confirmed as positive....

I truly appreciate all the answers:

Mark line052- will definitely give you a call
    Anfield21 - thank you sir, I'd love that , appreciated
    SongDog - thanks, I've been watching youtube but most are marketing for their own tools, informative nevertheless. I do not have FB
    finsfurfeathers - I was thinking about building one, seen some cool ones on YTB, thx for comfirmation
    Bowjob - awesome, thanks for the app tip
    sash, dean.f - great share& thanks for the tip. getting some decoys tomorrow

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone who was kind to lend a knowledge hand!
    Got out last day of the early season, got the decoys in a small pattern, wind facing, dog and I got into the tall grass cover and I started calling once in a while

20 mins or so in the sit, a flock changed course towards us, but they didn't like something, so they left
    Not long after the first fly by, 6 geese decided to answer my call, started imitating their tempo as much as I could, and the end result is in the freezer.

geese.jpg
    geese 2.jpg
    Last edited by mikedinoro; September 23rd, 2020 at 10:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast