Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buck or Gerber ?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have a buck folder, I’ve had for fifty years, got it when I was 17. It has skinned a whack of deer and moose over the years. It still holds an edge and only needs a quick touch up with the ceramic rods to bring the edge back......
    CCFR, OFAH Member

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

i just bought the buck today, not a bad knife for 12 bucks lol

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I have too many knives, the ones I now use daily all have S30V steel. Keeps an edge forever and easy to sharpen with a Lansky knife sharpener.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Depends on what you want the knife for. I have a bunch of 440 carbon blades for utility work that are basically throw aways, easy to sharpen and serve many purposes. Can be bought on ebay for 5 bucks each. Then there are my everyday carry type knives that I will spend more on and keep meticulously sharp but will not use for utility purposes no prying or anything like that. Right now my favorite has been a Tops Sneaky Pete mini fixed blade neck knife. Ive used it to gut deer and fillet small fish in a pinch, its 154cm steel and been my go to for about 5 years now, fits well in my pocket and has a nice kydex sheath with carabiner. I do not buy folding knives anymore, fixed blade or none at all, just like the style and reliability and had a couple accidents with cheap folding blades.

Gerber is a good brand but they make some lower end stuff that sucks same with Buck. All the buck knives ive owned didnt last long. My bro has a high end Gerber and that thing is bulletproof.
    Last edited by Deer Wrastler; September 24th, 2020 at 08:32 PM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Maybe I am just getting old(er) but I do not see the same quality in knives now as I did 20+ years ago - unless you spend large of a knife most of them are OK at best.

Like most of us we all have more knives than we know what to do with them. The best knives I own are all 20+ years old with the exception of the Grohman knives. My golden jewel is a Camillus #4 that was once my dad's EDC and he babied that knife - solid feel amazing steel! I have a very old Puma with 440 Stainless (Japan) and this thing is a razor and can hold an edge - I got this when I was a scout back in 1980's and it is with me on every hunt trip. My other two fav's are my Grohman #1 Original, and #2 Trout and Bird knife. These are my go to for gutting and skinning deer - they are sharp, hold an edge and feel good in your hand. Canadian made to boot - Pictou, NS.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    It has skinned a whack of deer and moose over the years.
    Which brings us the age old question; how many is a "whack"?
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Those Bucks went on sale for the same price, I bought 3 at the time. They're not my go to's, but I still use it as my everyday pocket knife. The other wound up in my son's stocking, and the other is tucked away for my daughter next year. I own plenty of expensive knives, but they come out when needed. As for an everyday small pocket knife...it does the trick. I also sharpen my knives alot, more of a habit or out of boredom.....
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    Which brings us the age old question; how many is a "whack"?
    Geeze being an Old Guy BM, I would have thought you would know that "Whole whack" or the often substituted "a whack off" is a Canadian Original slang term for "for lot of (something)."

Now to what degree 'a lot' of is, is subject to the 'something' in question. As a Canadian goes thru life, we accrue a working knowledge of what is considered a 'whack' of particular items. for example: a case of 24 beer is not a whack of beer...but 12 cases of beer is considered a whack of beer for a guy to take for 5 days at hunt camp...at least that is what my wife says
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    ..but 12 cases of beer is considered a whack of beer for a guy to take for 5 days at hunt camp...at least that is what my wife says
    Tell her you are bringing 12 beer? She'll be proud of you!
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Geeze being an Old Guy BM, I would have thought you would know that "Whole whack" or the often substituted "a whack off" is a Canadian Original slang term for "for lot of (something)."

Now to what degree 'a lot' of is, is subject to the 'something' in question. As a Canadian goes thru life, we accrue a working knowledge of what is considered a 'whack' of particular items. for example: a case of 24 beer is not a whack of beer...but 12 cases of beer is considered a whack of beer for a guy to take for 5 days at hunt camp...at least that is what my wife says
    Lol... yea, that’s what I mean....maybe “tons” would be a better term !!
    CCFR, OFAH Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast