Thread: adventures in the uplands

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Default adventures in the uplands

So went on a bit of an adventure yesterday. Falls in the air with an early drop in temp so went in search of grouse a little further than I normally drive. Destination was a provincial park second only in size to Algonquin. When I got there was extremely disappointed in our public access system. Got there to find the park is essentially locked down by a ring of private landowners that have posted their properties. Essentially the only access is by helicopter, boat in where the public road crosses river or lake, or the 1 trail access point jammed with people. Let the dogs out for a pee break and headed back home.[COLOR=#353C41][COLOR=#353C41] On the up side did stop at my primary spots to at least let the dogs run as it doesn't open till next week. Was very impressed and excited for the up coming season as looks like another round of selective harvest of pine has occurred. Lots of new raspberry and shurbery is coming up and although walking will be a pain as all the limbs have been left in place the cover has been refreshed. Trail was marked by fresh moose and bear tracks so looks like the area has been relatively undisturbed. Dogs put up a woodcock and a family of grouse. The woodcock would of been an easy shot but the grouse I think would of left unscathed and me embarrassed. Dogs pointed well enough and the first one came up with a riseing crossing shot against the rows of pine timber. These shots usually leave me with and empty gun and no bird. than in succession had 4 grouse take flight all straight away shots following the open row. May have to rethink my strategy next Friday pass on the first flush and wait on the follow up
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    So went on a bit of an adventure yesterday. Falls in the air with an early drop in temp so went in search of grouse a little further than I normally drive. Destination was a provincial park second only in size to Algonquin. When I got there was extremely disappointed in our public access system. Got there to find the park is essentially locked down by a ring of private landowners that have posted their properties. Essentially the only access is by helicopter, boat in where the public road crosses river or lake, or the 1 trail access point jammed with people. Let the dogs out for a pee break and headed back home.[COLOR=#353C41][COLOR=#353C41] On the up side did stop at my primary spots to at least let the dogs run as it doesn't open till next week. Was very impressed and excited for the up coming season as looks like another round of selective harvest of pine has occurred. Lots of new raspberry and shurbery is coming up and although walking will be a pain as all the limbs have been left in place the cover has been refreshed. Trail was marked by fresh moose and bear tracks so looks like the area has been relatively undisturbed. Dogs put up a woodcock and a family of grouse. The woodcock would of been an easy shot but the grouse I think would of left unscathed and me embarrassed. Dogs pointed well enough and the first one came up with a riseing crossing shot against the rows of pine timber. These shots usually leave me with and empty gun and no bird. than in succession had 4 grouse take flight all straight away shots following the open row. May have to rethink my strategy next Friday pass on the first flush and wait on the follow up
    I don't know......one in the hand, two in the bush comes to mind
    Sounds like a good way to spend a day
    Good luck in the upcoming season
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    I don't know......one in the hand, two in the bush comes to mind
    Sounds like a good way to spend a day
    Good luck in the upcoming season
    Ya but this is my go to bush. To spread out the activity focus mainly on the woodcock and save the grouse till after they leave. May self impose a 2 grouse limit till after the nov control hunt than all bets off

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I've been touring all summer checking potential access points to a few new properties as well. The only viable option to a lot of pristine land seems to be waterways. These non operating parks seem to be very difficult to access unless you get creative. Even backcountry camping (which I've considered) is so busy this year you take a chance there won't be a site when you reach your destination.

I'll be hunting opening day for the first time in a few years. I can't wait! Hopefully the weather stays cool.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

A lot of the southern Ontario WMU are only a 2 bird limit this year. Check the regulations.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ontdon View Post
    A lot of the southern Ontario WMU are only a 2 bird limit this year. Check the regulations.
    Its been that way for a few years now, same with snowshoes