Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lessons Learned

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Sad Lessons Learned

Out this morning to sight in my crossbow, hitting the bull at 20yards,25yards, all good. Go to try at 30, pulling cord on the bow, start to pull. My boot obviously was not in the stirrup properly, out it pops, of course I am pulling on this thing .
    Up comes the front of the bow, I try to move my head but too late . The front of the bow hits me on the left side of my forehead. Up comes this great big goose egg of a lump. Not my best moment in life , fortunately no damage to the bow.
    Carried on and got the scope set for the 30 yard mark . Going out again later this week, hope everything goes well .

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well glad it didn't hit ya too hard.

Heard of someone on the weekend tried unlocking their bow by pulling the string and pulling trigger with their thumb.

Guess they didn't pull the string hard enough, almost ripped 2 finger tips off, took a good chunk of skin off plus dry fired the bow. Think the bows ok, hands a bit sore i bet lol.

No this wasn't me lol

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

There's a ton of energy stored in those limbs!

I had my compound derail while I was practice drawing and holding, when I let down it went off like a bomb. I still have no idea how it happened. Thankfully no damage to me or the bow.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Glad you're ojay. Never did that one but have certainly had my moments of stupidity/complacency.

5 or 6 years ago:

Totally sober. Took a shot where i was over extended and using a make shift rest. Lost track of where my thumb was - actually almost lost my thumb. Only do that once.
    Last edited by Species8472; September 21st, 2020 at 04:32 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    5 or 6 years ago:

Totally sober. Took a shot where i was over extended and using a make shift rest. Lost track of where my thumb was - actually almost lost my thumb. Only do that once.
    Ya, I remember that, looked God awful...
    So far I have been lucky.... Put my foot firmly in the stirrup and release with cocking aid... So far so good...knock on wood
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Ouch. Yes it can hurt you.
    My buddy did lose his thumb at the knuckle.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

No worries Species-this seems to happen to other ones too-i did the same thing 2014 Dec, verifying my crossbow for whatever reason, from a metal gate.
    Hurt like a son of a b....h.

I got luckier then you though-glad You did not lose your thumb.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

If all I got was a bump on the head, I consider my self lucky after looking at those photos

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

im really glad to hear you are okay. much rather limbs breaking on the bow than your own.
    i remember the words of the excalibur videos back in the day... how you dont want it to meet your acquaintance...

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Good thread and a good reminder to not be complacent around your equipment this season.

Sorry about the knock on the head OP! My brother has a pretty messed up thumb from a decocking incident years ago, accidents can happen.

Hey Species... that pic is a doozy, gets me every time. For some reason I remember another story on here and I think it was you, about unloading a crossbow by hand but forgetting the bolt was still in it when your boot was in the stirrup.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast