Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Identify your target please

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Identify your target please

First and foremost I am not an upland bird hunter.
    Today while on a scouting mission prior to deer season I had the misfortune of finding a downed bird that was not recovered.
    I identified it as a Northern Bobwhite. This is on the endangered species list in Ontario.
    I know these things probably move pretty fast but if you can’t identify it DONT shoot it.
    Upon inspection it was obvious that the bird had been in a dog’s mouth ( and probably left when it was identified ).
    There was a bird hunter in the area ( with a dog ) who circled me and my parked vehicle three times before stopping to talk.
    Since I didn’t see what happened I can only speculate but I’m pretty good at reading the signs.
    Identify your target.... PLEASE!!!!
    Last edited by firedeptlt; September 25th, 2020 at 07:43 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

You are right and it might have been a mistake but,is it possible that it wasn't a shot bird? If a bird sits too tight dogs have been known to take a bird themselves. There is one dog a friend had that on a few occasions it came up short but with a mouth full of pheasant tail feathers.
    Last edited by mosquito; September 25th, 2020 at 08:01 PM.
    "It's disturbing that when it comes to the Christian faith, people don't really want, or know how, to investigate the evidence" - Daniel B. Wallace So why not learn?
    Sadly few remember kids: Compassion, Samaritans Purse, World Vision

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Double post.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I plucked some feathers. Buckshot through and throughs.
    I’m sure it was an accident but it all goes back to identifying your target.

And yes Dilly it is a double post but when it comes to killing an endangered species I think it’s warranted.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Buckshot....?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by firedeptlt View Post
    I plucked some feathers. Buckshot through and throughs.
    I’m sure it was an accident but it all goes back to identifying your target.

And yes Dilly it is a double post but when it comes to killing an endangered species I think it’s warranted.
    What makes you so sure it was an accident?

Endangered species? Really?

Please go on...

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    What makes you so sure it was an accident?

Endangered species? Really?

Please go on...
    It is considered endangered in Ontario.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/northern-bobwhite

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

If this was a confirmed wild northern bobwhite, that area should be immediately closed off to all human activity and the MNR should embark on a study of that group of birds as it is almost like Ontario's Tasmanian Tiger.

What I am trying suggest is, it is common for people to use pen-raised bobwhite for dog training. They can be purchased by people with a game farm license and released in registered game farm areas in Ontario. It is illegal to liberate them in "wild" places, but I also know that sometimes people use dead gamebirds to train their dogs to retrieve as well.

The "outrage" by the OP is a bit of a stretch IMO, especially as he admitted he didn't know much about upland hunting.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I doubt it was a wild bobwhite quail unless you were scouting on walpole island.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I realize it is rare as are the sandhill cranes I saw in burritts rapids on May 15. It does happen. Whether it was indigenous or an escapee it was a northern Bobwhite nonetheless.
    As for you Dilly you are entitled to your opinion as am I.
    It’s pretty easy for me to identify a bird when it is in my hands.
    I know what I saw. I know it wasn’t dead long. I know it wasn’t previously frozen. I know it had pellets ( is that better ? ) pass through it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast