Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Identify your target please

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    "Identify your target.... PLEASE!!!!"

Interesting idea, with the recent duck season opener in my area I’ve always found it amusing how duck hunters do that, when shooting at ducks passing overhead in the twilight of the predawn. There is no way to pick up on feather coloration in that level of light. I suppose it not an big issue unless there is a limit on specific species. However if there is a narrow bag limit on Blacks, I find a bit trick distinguishing them from Mallards, in low light condition. How do you distinguished before you shoot? Then, of course, there are those Mallard/Black cross breeds that add to the interest. Now are they added to the total of Blacks in the bag or to the total of Mallards The other kicker is you are not suppose to party hunt ducks. Have fun with this. LOL.

You don’t stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    As soon as you reach your limit of blacks you should stop hunting.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swampsinger View Post
    As soon as you reach your limit of blacks you should stop hunting.
    Actually there is no need to do that under full light conditions, the Mallards have a lighter colour in their under feathering. The only ducks that might be problematic are the Mallard / Black cross, they are a few shades deeper in colour . Again my concern was these birds are being shot at under low light conditions, when they cannot be clearly identified. Under such condition it is virtually impossible to distinguish between the two species. Firedeptitís plea was to ďIdentify your target ... PLEASE.Ē That might suggest that Firedeptit would have us duck hunter wait until full light before we start blasting away at whatever flies past. I canít imagine what that would do to the idea of an evening shoot, since the birds rarely return to the marshes before sunset.

You donít stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Actually there is no need to do that under full light conditions, the Mallards have a lighter colour in their under feathering. The only ducks that might be problematic are the Mallard / Black cross, they are a few shades deeper in colour . Again my concern was these birds are being shot at under low light conditions, when they cannot be clearly identified. Under such condition it is virtually impossible to distinguish between the two species. Firedeptit’s plea was to “Identify your target ... PLEASE.” That might suggest that Firedeptit would have us duck hunter wait until full light before we start blasting away at whatever flies past. I can’t imagine what that would do to the idea of an evening shoot, since the birds rarely return to the marshes before sunset.

You don’t stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    I am not sure what you're trying to get at. I believe every hunter has the responsibility to identify their target. Be it a big game hunter ensuring the animal is appropriate to the tag they have, or a duck hunter following daily species specific bag limits. If you can't identify it than don't shoot shouldn't be a shocker.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    I am not sure what you're trying to get at. I believe every hunter has the responsibility to identify their target. Be it a big game hunter ensuring the animal is appropriate to the tag they have, or a duck hunter following daily species specific bag limits. If you can't identify it than don't shoot shouldn't be a shocker.
    The regulations allow that firearms do not have to be unload and encased from 1/2 before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset. Those teasing 1/2 hours before sunrise and after sunset are periods of limited low light. It is easy to see overhead waterfowl and take shots at them. However to stay with my illustration, during those periods ducks are being shot when you can not distinguish their feathering, which is the case with Mallards and Black ducks, should that really be happening? Or should there be a set hour for shooting that ensure enough full light for clear identification ?

- Gun Nut

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Leave the hours how they are, and shoot the ducks you can identify

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

The regulations allow that firearms do not have to be unload and encased from 1/2 before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset. Those teasing 1/2 hours before sunrise and after sunset are periods of limited low light. It is easy to see overhead waterfowl and take shots at them. However to stay with my illustration, during those periods ducks are being shot when you can not distinguish their feathering, which is the case with Mallards and Black ducks, should that really be happening? Or should there be a set hour for shooting that ensure enough full light for clear identification ?

- Gun Nut
    When I used to duck hunt more found the night hunt not to my enjoyment. I had a hard time picking out the birds in the dimming light and used to call it way before the end of legal. Others with a keener eye and knowledge of the birds would continue to the end.
    Hunter's who know their quarry can hunt within the existing regulations quite efficently. Unfortunately there a people who go out shooting that can cause a problem.
    Don't know if shooting times were changed to noon to 1 pm who help this guy Id birds.
    https://youtu.be/lfnPP00k9Vc
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    When I used to duck hunt more found the night hunt not to my enjoyment. I had a hard time picking out the birds in the dimming light and used to call it way before the end of legal. Others with a keener eye and knowledge of the birds would continue to the end.
    Hunter's who know their quarry can hunt within the existing regulations quite efficently. Unfortunately there a people who go out shooting that can cause a problem.
    Don't know if shooting times were changed to noon to 1 pm who help this guy Id birds.
    https://youtu.be/lfnPP00k9Vc
    In reality I suppose the conditions and the style of hunting can have some effect on clearly
    identifying your game. Pass shooting ducks, as oppose to decoying them around and in, means there is very little time to check out the feathering especially at the speed they move through, perhaps that is why the regulations provided for the taking of an occasional Black in a flyway where the predominate species is Mallard. As for taking a Bob Whites while out hunting grouse, I suspect making a mistake on a flushed bird can happen. I say this having never hunted Bob Whites, but image when they are flushed in bushy terrain it might be difficult to evaluate them, under such condition, add to that they are not expect to be in that particular area. One could be mistakenly shot. . .

- Gun Nut

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234