Thread: Tundra Swan Season Update- 2020

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Tundra Swan Season Update- 2020

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers:

We may have missed out last fall on obtaining a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season starting somewhere in Canada for the 2020-21 hunting season due to an apparent miscommunication or misunderstanding but the "stage" is now being "reset" for the next round with a potential implementation for the 2022-23 hunting season.

I have decided (after consulting with waterfowl professionals and obtaining support from a few other individuals) to respond to the OFAH request for members to become involved in the operations of this organization. Consequently it would be appreciated if you would read my "Open Letter to OFAH Members" that I have posted on this "waterfowl" form.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

PS The State of Delaware was recently granted a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season and they will start their first season this year. The State of Maryland was also recently offered a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season but they were in the process of finalizing the details earlier this year ... so perhaps they will start their first season next year.

PS The USFWS has increased the total number of tags available to Canada and the United States from 9,600 to 12,000 as per the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans due to an ever inceasing number of Tundra Swans. Although waterfowlers in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario are entitled to 41% of those tags we must request a Tundra Swan season in order to have our allotment of tags redistributed back to Canada as per the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans.

PS The Western Population of Tundra Swans that migrate through Alberta and British Columbia (to a lesser extent) are managed by the Management Plan for the Western Population of Tundra Swans and have their own tag allotment. Consequently waterfowlers in Alberta would obtain their share of tags separately from the rest of us.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT