Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunting tentative dates for 2021

Just starting out

User Info Menu

In 2021 the gun hunting season for adult and calf moose in Southern Ontario (WMUs 45-50, 53-63) will shift earlier to begin the third Monday in October, as it did before 2017.
    Starting in 2021, all WMUs will have calf tag quotas to control calf harvest. This means we no longer need to align the start dates of the calf seasons in Southern and Northern Ontario to limit calf harvest.
    Reverting to the earlier moose gun season timing addresses concerns we heard from hunters about the moose and deer gun hunting seasons being too close together.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/moose-management-review

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Im glad they switched that back.
    Life is a Hiway, enjoy the Ride :cool:

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    Im glad they switched that back.
    Me too. That really buggered up party/prep weekend.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Me too. That really buggered up party/prep weekend.
    Sounds like the seasons in the NW will stay the same....well after the rut !
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Just starting out

User Info Menu

2021 tentative dates are posted as of this morning

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Those are 2020 dates....
    Scroll down the article, 2021 dates are listed. October 16 seems to be the opening day for rifle season in most road accessible units in northern Ontario,

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

"Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Nice to see the switch back to the traditional dates. My thinking regarding the mess up with last year's start date is that the bugger who came up with the calculation of when the season would start, didn't account for a leap year and that what's caused the moose / deer season's to only be separated by the weekend. Never did figure out the Saturday start, and as said, it did frigg up many of our "opening of the Hunt Camp cocktail parties". Which are sacred!!
    Deeds.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Sounds like the seasons in the NW will stay the same....well after the rut !
    its shocking more people don't b!tch about that then anything else, that is my main issue with the system. you draw a bull tag you should be able to hunt the dam rut with a gun,

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    its shocking more people don't b!tch about that then anything else, that is my main issue with the system. you draw a bull tag you should be able to hunt the dam rut with a gun,
    Scheduling the season after the rut is a management strategy to reduce hunter success, and to protect prime bulls. The hope is to increase moose numbers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast