Thread: Whitefish fishing tips? Fall

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Whitefish fishing tips? Fall

Last June I headed to Bark Lake (near Madawaska) and scored a couple whitefish trolling little cleos in the rocky shallows. I'm heading there again mid-October. I heard somewhere that whitefish typically spawn in the fall in the rocky shallows. I'd like to get your guy's opinion on rigs and fishing tactics on whitefish during this time. Also any pointers for Lakers on bark lake would be much appreciated too!!
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

You're a little early for the spawn, we usually head up first week of November. Dip net is what we use.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I was hoping this topic would see a little input. Around here the whitefish spawn right around deer season on the Manitoulin but I wanted to try angling them before the spawn starts. Trouble is, I have no idea how to go about it. How deep to fish them, what to use, best time of day, what areas of the lake........that sorta thing. I thought you Simco guys would have a handle on this.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    I was hoping this topic would see a little input. Around here the whitefish spawn right around deer season on the Manitoulin but I wanted to try angling them before the spawn starts. Trouble is, I have no idea how to go about it. How deep to fish them, what to use, best time of day, what areas of the lake........that sorta thing. I thought you Simco guys would have a handle on this.
    From my independant research, I've seen that trolling spoons in shallow (20ft or less) rocky bottoms is how I caught them, and it seems to be what other people do. This was late June which I believe is when they venture in the shallows, I also heard they do this in October/November. I also seen people have lots of success with silver jigging spoons or live waxworms. I'm heading there this morning for a few days so I'll see what works and what doesn't.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Any report???

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, I will be glad to communicate.