Thread: LED Headlights

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default LED Headlights

So last November my son bought us a pair of LED headlights from Amazon.About $25.00 each with crazy Lumens I think 1200.

Anyway they worked pretty good up until a few weeks ago,had one in my overall pocket and basically it melted down,the wiring between the battery pack and the lights melted as did some of the casing around the lights.

The second lamp within 3 days simply died, but evidence inside the battery pack indicated another short.

Did my usual thing, complained to the manufacturer and Amazon. Because of their inaction sent the complaint off to Health Canada Product Safety folks.

Usual Chinese made stuff which might make it over a year, these one's were supposed to have a lifetime warranty,but who want's a
    replacement that will burn down your house.

Anyway I realised that about 10 years ago I had been given a LED headlight from a friend who was a Engineer at Hydro One.

I dug it out, still working flawlessly and checked out its name and what have you on the internet.

So this little unit in Orange is a PRINCETON TEC EOS 130 and was made and still is by Princeton Tec in the USA.

Checked out their website and lots of good lamps and models available.

Now these little guys are not cheap but are very reliable,waterproof and so forth.

I contacted the company and asked about shipping to Canada, right now they do not directly ship but will be doing so in 2021.

I can still get some of their units of Amazon which come directly from them with their lifetime warranty.

So I ordered another one of the same model I have already for a back up or my son's use.

If your in the market for a proper outdoor lamp I would recommend checking this company out on the web.

https://princetontec.com/

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

There's a surprise! Chinese crap not lasting. Trouble is, its getting harder and harder every day to find something you want or need thats not made in China.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    There's a surprise! Chinese crap not lasting. Trouble is, its getting harder and harder every day to find something you want or need thats not made in China.
    Your right Sawbill and I have been giving this stuff some thought recently.I am on my 3rd trail camera with fairly mixed results and lets say $50.00 a pop.I don't expect them to last another year.So I was thinking maybe I should save up a bit and get a proper camera made in the USA.Now we are talking $450.00 a pop but with a lifetime warranty to a company that you can actually reach and send your unit back to,not to mention the performance and picture and lens quality.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I just checked them out, the price doesn't seem off the chart when considering for industrial use. The exchange and shipping would be the killer.

Maglite used to be the best flashlight going and they were never cheap. Now I believe they are made with Chinese components.

I don't think its a lack of demand for domestic product, but more greed on the part of publicly traded companies. There are still domestic manufacturers who supply niche markets as long as you are willing to pay the price, you can still find a lot of decent products.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    So last November my son bought us a pair of LED headlights from Amazon.About $25.00 each with crazy Lumens I think 1200.]
    Care to share the name of the garbage ones? Be handy to perhaps know which one NOT to buy?
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have bought GE LED lights for my carport suppose to last 30 years got 6 months. Still probably made in China but GE is still a big player.
    Any of this stuff can go at anytime doesn't matter if it is from Amazon, Home depot, Canadian Tire or any place else.

But I will tell you my cheap Trail cams from amazon are better then any 100 - 150 dollar trail cam from Canadian Tire, but then again they good die next week. The Trail cam I bought from Canadian Tire lasted 1 day.

Some stuff is good and some is crap and technically none can be returned.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    Care to share the name of the garbage ones? Be handy to perhaps know which one NOT to buy?
    Anything for you brother,here is the unit and if you click on the reviews click on the one star review and the last review is mine.

https://www.amazon.ca/product-review...ews-filter-bar

This unit is a fire hazard and should not be on the market.When his stuff comes from China via Amazon you generally get it in a plain brown cardboard box.No information about the company and there is not a SINGLE IDENTIFIER anywhere on these lights.They only have a battery
    number for them.I had to contact Amazon to get the manufacturers name and compare to the picture and features on Amazon.

The fault in these units is that the wiring from the circuit board to the battery pack on the back of your head is very flimsy and basically has a three or four strands of wire soldered to the circuit board,these fray over some uses and bingo.If you look at the other one star reviews other purchasers also had wire melting problems so they know about it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I have bought GE LED lights for my carport suppose to last 30 years got 6 months. Still probably made in China but GE is still a big player.
    Any of this stuff can go at anytime doesn't matter if it is from Amazon, Home depot, Canadian Tire or any place else.

But I will tell you my cheap Trail cams from amazon are better then any 100 - 150 dollar trail cam from Canadian Tire, but then again they good die next week. The Trail cam I bought from Canadian Tire lasted 1 day.

Some stuff is good and some is crap and technically none can be returned.
    Well I agree with you up until your last sentence because the Princeton lights can be returned and they will be replaced or repaired.If your looking at a trail camera and you spend the money this company will replace or repair
    https://www.trailcampro.com/collecti...-trail-cameras
    This is kinda the point I am trying to make about a lifetime product that will last and stuff you have to keep on buying.

Now I am like you spending $500.00 on a trail camera is pretty steep but you have to read what goes into these cameras for quality of the lens and so forth and they have them working on Scientific projects from the steamy jungles of Brazil to the freezing conditions in Antarctica.

These are not a camera a hunter would put out on public land as it would be gone in seconds, so not for everybody because of that.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

[COLOR=#000000]I have a late-year jeep wrangler and I ordered some extra optics for it. I had this problem where the LEDs were burning very brightly. After 3 hours of driving, I had 3 of the 5 extra lights fail. When I took it to the repair shop they told me what it was. As it turned out it was a manufacturing defect paths between the LEDs were too thin and because of that, they melted. And it was quite a shame to learn that I did not get a warranty and the cost of these optics was $800. Well, I found another manufacturer https://www.ukled.co.uk/led-strip-lights.html they did not make optics, just LEDs, I ordered their large number. And now I have Kostanay lighting and additional optics.
    Last edited by Dresheld; November 10th, 2021 at 05:42 PM.