Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: shotgun or muzzleloader preference

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default shotgun or muzzleloader preference

Given your area has a choice, would you prefer to use a shotgun or a muzzleloader? Very rarely would range be an issue for me, for the most part I would be shooting under 100 yards. Also not driving or pushing, I would be ground or stand hunting.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I got bit with the Black Powder shooting years back and the infection has only getting worse. I take one out during the regulatory Rifle season now and I use an ML shotgun for Turkey hunting.

Great fun and adds a nice dimension to the sport of hunting. Even the cheap ones will shot MOA at 100 out of the box so clover leaf accuracy is easy to obtain if you spend a little time with loose powder and work up a load. Otherwise a lot of guys just use the pellets, it sacrifices a little in accuracy for convenience, but if you're primarily shooting sub 100 yds, you'll find it will still do the job nicely.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Only reason i go for shogun is convenience and quickness of loading and unloading, to remain legal.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What are these Pellets?

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I got bit with the Black Powder shooting years back and the infection has only getting worse. I take one out during the regulatory Rifle season now and I use an ML shotgun for Turkey hunting.

Great fun and adds a nice dimension to the sport of hunting. Even the cheap ones will shot MOA at 100 out of the box so clover leaf accuracy is easy to obtain if you spend a little time with loose powder and work up a load. Otherwise a lot of guys just use the pellets, it sacrifices a little in accuracy for convenience, but if you're primarily shooting sub 100 yds, you'll find it will still do the job nicely.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    What are these Pellets?
    Pyrodex pellets I shoot 2 in my muzzle loader 50/50. 50 caliber and 50 grain pushing a .223 grain .50 call bullet

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I think its just personal preference really, but gbk makes a good point about the simplicity of the shotgun...hard to go wrong with a Savage 20 gauge slug gun

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Don’t limit yourself. Both are great. I have a good collection of muzzleloaders that need more field time but for a wet day or for hunting the swamps it’s hard to beat a shotgun

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I hunted a controlled hunt that was shotgun or muzzleloader last year. I did not even bring the modern muzzleloader with a scope and 209 primers, I left both the shotgun and inline gun at home and took a side lock without only a patched round ball. I would have shot a larger deer a day earlier if I had the shotgun (had a hang fire) but got a deer with a mid 1800s style rifle, which is much cooler than another deer shot with the 870.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I hunt 92B ML guns only.
    I never understood the logic behind this but what can you do?. So I don't have a choice! lol

If I could use a shotgun I would in a heart beat. It would be a Savage 220 slug gun!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

In NS talking to my cousin. They have a separate Bow / Muzzle Loader season Oct 1 - Oct 31 with a separate tag. Gun season which runs Oct 30 - Dec 1 and then back to bow and Muzzle Loader till the end of Dec.

A muzzle Loader here would extend my season 1 week but no extra tags.

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast