Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: shotgun or muzzleloader preference

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    A muzzle Loader here would extend my season 1 week but no extra tags.
    Yea that part sucks for sure..would be nice to have an ML tag.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I keep thinking about it. I have something for almost everyone of my needs except a small center fire for varmints (They banned the ranch rifle) and a Muzzle Loader.

But with the money I putout this year to set my son up right for his first year I will have to wait until after Xmas and see if my contract is renewed first. It would still be useful and add an extra week of hunting if I didn't fill my tag the first 2 weeks.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I party hunt with my brother and dad so the shotgun makes more sense if more than one deer comes out to one of us. But I’ve been on the fence with muzzleloaders for a bit. It’s something different instead of the same old. Maybe even slightly more rewarding.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    I hunt 92B ML guns only.
    I never understood the logic behind this but what can you do?. So I don't have a choice! lol

If I could use a shotgun I would in a heart beat. It would be a Savage 220 slug gun!
    Rapid shooting is why, a few deer come out at once and you can easily get shots at multiple with a shotgun, not so with a muzzle loader, unless you spring for a very pricey double.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbuff View Post
    I party hunt with my brother and dad so the shotgun makes more sense if more than one deer comes out to one of us. But I’ve been on the fence with muzzleloaders for a bit. It’s something different instead of the same old. Maybe even slightly more rewarding.
    Talk about rewarding, it was awesome hunting the traditional way.

The key part to this is that I told my dad what I wanted to do and he was 100% for it, it was just the 2 of us hunting and filling the freezer was not the goal, hunting how we wanted was the goal and it worked out perfectly.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

In my area for the December hunt you cannot use a shotgun only a muzzleloader or bow.Cannot figure out why we do not get a choice,a shotgun would be the better of the two.
    Last edited by Gilroy; October 15th, 2020 at 11:58 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    In my area for the December hunt you cannot use a shotgun only a muzzleloader or bow.Cannot figure out why we do not get a choice,a shotgun would be the better of the two.
    What Fox said above. December deer are herded up more so MNR is only letting us use muzzleloaders so guys that are out filling meat tags arent slaughting the whole herd with the slug gun lol

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I hunted a controlled hunt that was shotgun or muzzleloader last year. I did not even bring the modern muzzleloader with a scope and 209 primers, I left both the shotgun and inline gun at home and took a side lock without only a patched round ball. I would have shot a larger deer a day earlier if I had the shotgun (had a hang fire) but got a deer with a mid 1800s style rifle, which is much cooler than another deer shot with the 870.
    That sounds like it'd be a pretty exciting hunt.
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I would prefer a shotgun just because it's easier to maintain and a lot less hassle overall.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I started off with shotgun but over the last 5 years or so went to a ML... Just something a little more interesting in the hunt this way, plus who doesn't like to see smoke
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"