Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: shotgun or muzzleloader preference

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

My area is muzzle loader only don’t have a choice but it’s fun more challenging for sure

Your not far from me if your looking for used muzzle loader I have very nice pursuit G4 scoped I would part with
    I have two

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LiveBates View Post
    That sounds like it'd be a pretty exciting hunt.
    Missed the doe with a hang fire Tuesday, Pyrodex and a wet December day, next time I will load new every morning.

Wednesday we did some poking, I moved up ahead and my dad poked the bush. We know the runs they are likely to go down, sure enough a big doe with 2 big fawns came in. I hit a tree with a shot at the doe, thought it was all over, reloaded and the one fawn decided to get past me at around 15 yards. 50 cal round ball to the heart and she took off, made it about 50 yards, you could eat to the hole.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Fox where are you hunting right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Missed the doe with a hang fire Tuesday, Pyrodex and a wet December day, next time I will load new every morning.

Wednesday we did some poking, I moved up ahead and my dad poked the bush. We know the runs they are likely to go down, sure enough a big doe with 2 big fawns came in. I hit a tree with a shot at the doe, thought it was all over, reloaded and the one fawn decided to get past me at around 15 yards. 50 cal round ball to the heart and she took off, made it about 50 yards, you could eat to the hole.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I think he’s referencing the excitement of a previous hunt.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I have heard great things about savage. The only thing issue is that I've also heard that they shoot best with accutips which I keep hearing guys not being able to find recently.

Quote Originally Posted by kokes View Post
    I think its just personal preference really, but gbk makes a good point about the simplicity of the shotgun...hard to go wrong with a Savage 20 gauge slug gun

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by klums View Post
    I have heard great things about savage. The only thing issue is that I've also heard that they shoot best with accutips which I keep hearing guys not being able to find recently.
    Definitely they do, but you can try Win Dual Bond or Federal blue box plain Jane lead sabot,they will do the job for you out til 100 yards.Savage says there is another -high end Federal sabot(unsure the model)shoots good in 220 .
    You will do well with savage 220 if that is your dream,do not let shortage of ammo scare You off.
    After all,if You hit consitently a pie plate at 100 yards-you are good to go hunting.And shooting out til 100 y.In Ontario-that is mostly plenty.

No need to cover 3 shots with a dime at 100 y to be able to hunt a deer ethically and efficiently.

Now-owning Accutip definitely can be a morale booster-but not a show stopper.
    Last edited by gbk; October 16th, 2020 at 06:26 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Shotgun. It's a more versatile firearm than a muzzleloader.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
    So is a Dodge Family wagon but I'd still rather drive a Mustang GT. HaHa..

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Fox where are you hunting right now?
    I hunt around my place just south of Ottawa and at my Dads place near Stratford, his place has a controlled hunt the first week of December, that is where I got the deer last year, 2 years ago it was at the camp 15min from my house.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
    True, you could do everything with a shotgun but what is the gun in that.

I would much rather have 50 guns that I got to look at, clean and polish that had their own tasks than to just go out and buy an 870 and be done with it.

I like the minivan analogy but I will take it one further. I want a pickup for utility, motorcycle for agility, car for commuting, jacked up 4x4 for fun and Olds 442 for classic speed, never a van, never ever a van.