Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: shotgun or muzzleloader preference

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by klums View Post
    I have heard great things about savage. The only thing issue is that I've also heard that they shoot best with accutips which I keep hearing guys not being able to find recently.
    I bought the 220 a couple of weeks ago. Instead of accutips which I used in my BPS 12 gauge for years, I tried 3 inch federal premium trophy copper tipped sabot slug in the 220 with great success. The Savage manual recommends 3 inch accutips. I'll stick with the feds. at $20.00 a box. Next year I'll try 2-3/4 inch. If they are as accurate as the 3 inch, even better at $15.00 a box. At that price, I won't mind banging off a few boxes at a shooting session.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I bring both out actually. a ML for the first shot and if any malfunction happens i have a couple slugs as backup.
    and before keyboard wardens start going off-- yes, i got the green light from the mnr. i was as surprised as you.

its a real pain if you are moving but if you just sit and wait like I do its nice to have. rarely do you ever need the backup as the ML is often a far better choice when you are not on the move. and like others said, its just too cool when the cloud clears and you see your deer go down through it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by punkrockerpj View Post
    I bring both out actually. a ML for the first shot and if any malfunction happens i have a couple slugs as backup.
    and before keyboard wardens start going off-- yes, i got the green light from the mnr. i was as surprised as you.

its a real pain if you are moving but if you just sit and wait like I do its nice to have. rarely do you ever need the backup as the ML is often a far better choice when you are not on the move. and like others said, its just too cool when the cloud clears and you see your deer go down through it.
    You could always bring 2 guns, you just have to make sure you are in control of them and use them safely. You cannot have 2 guns if you are taking out an apprentice though.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trailblzr View Post
    I bought the 220 a couple of weeks ago. Instead of accutips which I used in my BPS 12 gauge for years, I tried 3 inch federal premium trophy copper tipped sabot slug in the 220 with great success. The Savage manual recommends 3 inch accutips. I'll stick with the feds. at $20.00 a box. Next year I'll try 2-3/4 inch. If they are as accurate as the 3 inch, even better at $15.00 a box. At that price, I won't mind banging off a few boxes at a shooting session.
    A guy I hunted with in SW Ontario has a 220, he has stuck with the 2 3/4" accutips, he gets 1/4in better groups over the 3". I am not joking, the guy was so particular with his slug gun, yet he uses it for 200 yards plus on deer.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    A guy I hunted with in SW Ontario has a 220, he has stuck with the 2 3/4" accutips, he gets 1/4in better groups over the 3". I am not joking, the guy was so particular with his slug gun, yet he uses it for 200 yards plus on deer.
    ive been amazed with how accurate some of these rifled scopes are! i friend took a doe out at about 150 and it was about as far as i would trust my shooting of my ML-- although ive heard of some guys also taking deer out just under 300 with their MLs.

all around impressed with how they can perform!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

True, you could do everything with a shotgun but what is the gun in that.

I would much rather have 50 guns that I got to look at, clean and polish that had their own tasks than to just go out and buy an 870 and be done with it.

I like the minivan analogy but I will take it one further. I want a pickup for utility, motorcycle for agility, car for commuting, jacked up 4x4 for fun and Olds 442 for classic speed, never a van, never ever a van.
    My approach is fewer but better guns.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

No doubt. As I said before i used 2 3/4in. Accutips in my BPS for years. The 3 inch Federals shoot great out of my 220 so I’ll try 2 3/4 federals at $15.00 a box compared to $26.00 a box for accutips.
    Last edited by trailblzr; October 19th, 2020 at 07:30 PM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Federal Trophy Barnes tipped expander on sale at Gagnons for 12.99 work really well! Old stock but fantastic.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    Federal Trophy Barnes tipped expander on sale at Gagnons for 12.99 work really well! Old stock but fantastic.
    Thanks Big Jack. I used those with my REM 870 a while ago. Great price.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
    My approach is fewer but better guns.
    1940s M38 Mauser in 6.5x55mm, 0.86in 5 shot group at 100 yards, I don't think I need to go better and it did not cost so much that I have to buy fewer