Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: shotgun or muzzleloader preference

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    In my many years I have reloaded and shot my ML twice while in my treestand. Both successful. Not a big deal as long as you have a well prepared 'possibiles' bag HaHa...

for the NON-MLers:
    Pedersoli Kodiak Express MK VI Double-Barrel Percussion Rifles

(0)
    Write a review
    $1,299.99

Expensive but second shot ? LOL

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

yeah i sighted in my ML this afternoon and man, its nice having the accuracy.
    but what happened with my ML reminded me of why i bring my shotgun as backup as I rarely push the bush and sit as I have more success with deer that way.
    my first shot was a bullseye. second shot, up 3 inches and to the left 2, third shot after cleaning the barrel was maybe half an inch off the bullseye. I dont shoot with a rest and really should when sighting in. I use my kids camping chair to stabilize my barrel :P

so why did my 2nd shot go so high and left? 1 part of the reason was the dirty barrel.
    the other part of the reason was the 3 second hangfire, with me lifting my head to say "what the heck?", and then the gun slamming into my shoulder and almost making me a pirate.

that moment reminded me that there's upsides and downsides to every tool we use i suppose.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by punkrockerpj View Post
    yeah i sighted in my ML this afternoon and man, its nice having the accuracy.
    but what happened with my ML reminded me of why i bring my shotgun as backup as I rarely push the bush and sit as I have more success with deer that way.
    my first shot was a bullseye. second shot, up 3 inches and to the left 2, third shot after cleaning the barrel was maybe half an inch off the bullseye. I dont shoot with a rest and really should when sighting in. I use my kids camping chair to stabilize my barrel [emoji14]

so why did my 2nd shot go so high and left? 1 part of the reason was the dirty barrel.
    the other part of the reason was the 3 second hangfire, with me lifting my head to say "what the heck?", and then the gun slamming into my shoulder and almost making me a pirate.

that moment reminded me that there's upsides and downsides to every tool we use i suppose.
    The second shot could likely be from the heat in the barrel. Sabots are very heat sensitive. Also you can't expect to drive tacks either. The hang fire could be due to solvents left in the bore or breech plug after cleaning or due to a loose fitting sabot. Easy to load equals inconsistency be it using smokeless or bp or bp substitute. Being a smokeless shooter for many years I have learned the in and outs and my buddies with smoke poles have benefited in consistency and accuracy from proper fitting sabots.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

3 out of 4 in our black-powder group now shoot the Savage 10ML ii smokeless muzzleloaders.
    The one guy that shoots my old trusty T/C Omega with T7 will soon be buying a Savage for next season after he sees how our guns perform... lol

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    3 out of 4 in our black-powder group now shoot the Savage 10ML ii smokeless muzzleloaders.
    The one guy that shoots my old trusty T/C Omega with T7 will soon be buying a Savage for next season after he sees how our guns perform... lol
    No smell, no smoke, boring

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    No smell, no smoke, boring but lot's of venison at the end of the day... lol

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Best part is trying to track your deer through the smoke. While spitting on screen trying to put out the slow melt. LOL

Member for Life

User Info Menu

About ready to sell my Savage 220 and buy a Benelli M2 20gauge with rifled barrel. Same barrel length and twist rate but such a nicer gun. 1800$ before tax though hurts, But I really like it and being semi I heard they are like shooting a BB gun in terms of recoil.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Song Dog

My friend bought one of these.
    You may be disappointed with accuracy. He was versus the 220.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    No smell, no smoke, boring but lot's of venison at the end of the day... lol
    You get venison either way...same bullets ...I'll stick to the enjoying the smoke..otherwise it's just another gun..Haha..