Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: shotgun or muzzleloader preference

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    You get venison either way...same bullets ...I'll stick to the enjoying the smoke..otherwise it's just another gun..Haha..
    That's the way I look at it. They both go bang. I like them both. I'll take the slug gun out for a morning or a full day and take the savage ml2 out the next day. I like my toys.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

hey i like venison... :P

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    Song Dog

My friend bought one of these.
    You may be disappointed with accuracy. He was versus the 220.
    I'm going to try my friends first before I commit, He's shooting federal sabots, 1900fps Barnes expander, I'll put it up against my 220 and report back. Likely won't be til after deer season since both guns are dialed in already for next week [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SongDog View Post
    I'm going to try my friends first before I commit, He's shooting federal sabots, 1900fps Barnes expander, I'll put it up against my 220 and report back. Likely won't be til after deer season since both guns are dialed in already for next week [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    I went from a 12ga pump to a 20ga semi last year. I'm not recoil sensitive but after 3 or 4 boxes the 12ga could leave a nice bruise but can shoot the 20ga all day. It was really fussy finding a sabot to shoot well but now that I have I get more consistent groups, no fliers with the 20ga. Interested to hear how the semi stacks up against the savage bolt, I'm liking the looks of the redesigned 220.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetright View Post
    I went from a 12ga pump to a 20ga semi last year. I'm not recoil sensitive but after 3 or 4 boxes the 12ga could leave a nice bruise but can shoot the 20ga all day. It was really fussy finding a sabot to shoot well but now that I have I get more consistent groups, no fliers with the 20ga. Interested to hear how the semi stacks up against the savage bolt, I'm liking the looks of the redesigned 220.
    I bought the 220 less than a month ago. Shoots very accurately. The Accustock with accufit is really nice. Comes with adjustable length of pull and comb height. I didn't have to make any adjustments. Fits just right.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trailblzr View Post
    I bought the 220 less than a month ago. Shoots very accurately. The Accustock with accufit is really nice. Comes with adjustable length of pull and comb height. I didn't have to make any adjustments. Fits just right.
    How is the 220 at chambering the 2nd round in? There were issues with early models. Also can you get the scope nice and low to the barrel? The new rail on top looks fairly long and that it might be a problem mounting a scope with a 40mm objective or a short tube.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetright View Post
    How is the 220 at chambering the 2nd round in? There were issues with early models. Also can you get the scope nice and low to the barrel? The new rail on top looks fairly long and that it might be a problem mounting a scope with a 40mm objective or a short tube.
    Its chambering the second round smoothly. New gun. I have only done it a few times. Seem to be okay.
    Ya the rail is long. I mounted my 1.75 x 4 -32 bushnell trophy on it. Had to use medium rings.
    Just enough room to get the scope cap on without touching the rail. I'll probably change the rail down the road.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    No smell, no smoke, boring but lot's of venison at the end of the day... lol
    If I want venison I can shoot them with a modern rifle, or use a crossbow. Muzzle loaders and traditional bows are for the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by js4fn View Post
    Best part is trying to track your deer through the smoke. While spitting on screen trying to put out the slow melt. LOL
    Screen? Sitting on a stump with a breeze, did not lose the deer last year, and actually saw the hole and the blood pumping out a step or two after I took the shot, no concern there.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Yeah but your a young buck I’m old puzzy

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I'll take the muzzleloader, seeing as I shot a doe on the opener yesterday with it. I considered the shotgun, but I like the ' you have one shot' mentality needed with a muzzleloader.