Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: shotgun or muzzleloader preference

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Sorry but it is really really hard to beat the savage 220. That shotgun is more accurate than most rifles and you do not have to clean it like a ML. We can argue all day about this but these are the facts...

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pbonura View Post
    Sorry but it is really really hard to beat the savage 220. That shotgun is more accurate than most rifles and you do not have to clean it like a ML. We can argue all day about this but these are the facts...
    Not necessarily the reason to take something out to hunt.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pbonura View Post
    I like the 220’s. I’ve lost count of how many I’ve owned. You will notice different poi as you shoot factory rounds.
    With an ml you control each load. Find the right load and every time you shoot you will have same result.

Yes the cleaning is a pain so go smokeless and that goes away.
    BH209 also works well.
    Both guns are great. It’s just preference really.

Both give great confidence in the woods.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    I like the 220’s. I’ve lost count of how many I’ve owned. You will notice different poi as you shoot factory rounds.
    With an ml you control each load. Find the right load and every time you shoot you will have same result.

Yes the cleaning is a pain so go smokeless and that goes away.
    BH209 also works well.
    Both guns are great. It’s just preference really.

Both give great confidence in the woods.
    Going smokeless essentially means a custom rifle now, due to all the idiots loading BP volumes of smokeless and blowing up their rifles

Has anyone even suggested making a mass produced smokeless muzzle loader again?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Going smokeless essentially means a custom rifle now, due to all the idiots loading BP volumes of smokeless and blowing up their rifles

Has anyone even suggested making a mass produced smokeless muzzle loader again?
    There isn’t enough demand.

Savages last run was only 6000 ML rifles. That line was converted and pumps out 80,000 center fire rifles per year.

It isn’t financially viable for any mass manufacturer.

Custom smokeless prefit barrels have never been easier to purchase.

Just need a donor action and any half competent gunny can head space the breach plug.

For a total of about $2000 you have a great rig that will outperform any slugger ever made accuracy wise.

It really is just deciding which you prefer.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    There isn’t enough demand.

Savages last run was only 6000 ML rifles. That line was converted and pumps out 80,000 center fire rifles per year.

It isn’t financially viable for any mass manufacturer.

Custom smokeless prefit barrels have never been easier to purchase.

Just need a donor action and any half competent gunny can head space the breach plug.

For a total of about $2000 you have a great rig that will outperform any slugger ever made accuracy wise.

It really is just deciding which you prefer.
    Why is Traditions now looking to make smokeless guns? It is because stupid people blew themselves and their guns up.

They make single shot rifles that fit the G3 muzzle loader, it is the same receiver, so why can they not make a smokeless gun? The demand may not be there for Savage but Traditions has partnered with Federal and Hodgdon to make a powder cartridge to load, that sure was not a cheap initiative.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Well I put my shotgun away the last 3yrs and used my custom smokeless muzzle loader I was lucky enough to harvest a small 8 pointer at 75 yrds this year both would have done the job the shotgun and the muzzle loader but I perfere my muzzle loader

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by overtheir View Post
    Well I put my shotgun away the last 3yrs and used my custom smokeless muzzle loader I was lucky enough to harvest a small 8 pointer at 75 yrds this year both would have done the job the shotgun and the muzzle loader but I perfere my muzzle loader
    They do work well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Why is Traditions now looking to make smokeless guns? It is because stupid people blew themselves and their guns up.

They make single shot rifles that fit the G3 muzzle loader, it is the same receiver, so why can they not make a smokeless gun? The demand may not be there for Savage but Traditions has partnered with Federal and Hodgdon to make a powder cartridge to load, that sure was not a cheap initiative.
    Smaller production out of that company and proprietary load set up spells expensive but who really knows?

The reality is I can shoot a gas checked 5 cent cast bullet with a paltry 28 grains of powder that pushes 1900 FPS. Oh don’t forget the 4 cent primer!

I don’t know Fox, I hope they do make one.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    In NS talking to my cousin. They have a separate Bow / Muzzle Loader season Oct 1 - Oct 31 with a separate tag. Gun season which runs Oct 30 - Dec 1 and then back to bow and Muzzle Loader till the end of Dec.

A muzzle Loader here would extend my season 1 week but no extra tags.

At least they have the brains to establish the season in a more climate friendly period of the year. I had a couple of loose percussion caps which I wanted use to dry the oil in the powder chambers of my shotgun, I near froze my fingers attempting to get them on to the nipples. I'd love to see and early October Muzzle Loader season for deer.
    Another thing that would be great is making it a Black Powder season rather than just a Muzzle Loader season. There were a number of great old caliber rifles that proceeded the 30 WCF, that were great black powder firearms that could be retrieved from being wall hangers and put back into service of bagging game This might even expand the interest in the hunt, as well as broadening the market place in selling black powder ammunition or selling equipment to load black powder cartridges, plus gun cleaning accessories, need after use.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut