Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting in off topic section

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I never understood why people try to get their post count up. Its not like you get anything out of having the most posts or do people see it that way I dunno I could care less. And for off topic stuff if you dont like it just dont read it, dont let it bother you or ruin your potentially delicate day.

Oh well I guess that this post will get my post count up either way yahooo!

I like engaging in discussion I find interesting despite what people want the topics to be about I like talking about many things. I don't see the harm in that, I didnt think that off topic posts bothered people.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TroutSlayer View Post
    It's out of sight now, unless you are logged in, but I know what you mean buddy, None of that activity should count for posts or anything else.
    On the home page..upper left hand corner is the 'Activity Stream' pull down... a lot of us use that to see recent posts. With all the activity on the 'Off Topic ' forum these days , those posts overwhelm the other forum posts.

If the Off Topic posts weren't shown there, the rest of the forum posts would be easier to find/see and the non-'Off Topic' users wouldn't have to pick thru them to find ones they want to read.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TroutSlayer View Post
    It's not a big deal. The general public cannot see the "Off Topic" forums. The few trollers who post in it, are just looking for an audience and perhaps an "atta boy!". It's all just a waste of time. They should be doing the "one on one" PM thing, but they have no audience in that case. Let's fish and hunt!
    Are you including yourself in the "few trollers" as you post on there yourself.If you did a little research of the forum where you were supposed to have moderated you will see very quickly that the off topic forum is very popular and just about everybody has posted on it.
    Folks on this forum don't like to be told what to do or instructed on how to post by anyone.As indicated by the moderator your "sour grapes"
    attitude is showing clearly.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    On the home page..upper left hand corner is the 'Activity Stream' pull down... a lot of us use that to see recent posts. With all the activity on the 'Off Topic ' forum these days , those posts overwhelm the other forum posts.

If the Off Topic posts weren't shown there, the rest of the forum posts would be easier to find/see and the non-'Off Topic' users wouldn't have to pick thru them to find ones they want to read.
    Amazing hypocrisy your last two threads were on the OFF TOPIC forum and yes as you can see your thread with over 3,357 views and 204 replies on Covid may have "overwhelmed the other posts" but that is exactly what you are now complaining about.LOL give yur head a shake.

I think the readers can go to the current activity drop down box and pick and choose without any bother right now.
    Last edited by Gilroy; October 17th, 2020 at 08:30 AM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Amazing hypocrisy your last two threads were on the OFF TOPIC forum and yes as you can see your thread with over 3,357 views and 204 replies on Covid may have "overwhelmed the other posts" but that is exactly what you are now complaining about.LOL give yur head a shake.

I think the readers can go to the current activity drop down box and pick and choose without any bother right now.
    I think its good filler to have off topic discussions. We all have mutual interests and its nice to talk about current events and other items with people we all tend to agree with. Even if some people disagree at times, I still enjoy reading alternative views from people I opt to respect out of that mutual common ground that brought us all here in the first place.

If people who post in off topic are going to be automatically labelled as trolls by the mods here, maybe a large chunk of the OOD subscriber base will go to another forum where open discussion is encouraged and appreciated. Again, if you dont like off topic topics just ignore them!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wrastler View Post
    I think its good filler to have off topic discussions. We all have mutual interests and its nice to talk about current events and other items with people we all tend to agree with. Even if some people disagree at times, I still enjoy reading alternative views from people I opt to respect out of that mutual common ground that brought us all here in the first place.

If people who post in off topic are going to be automatically labelled as trolls by the mods here, maybe a large chunk of the OOD subscriber base will go to another forum where open discussion is encouraged and appreciated. Again, if you dont like off topic topics just ignore them!
    Well I agree with most of what you said save and except the part about the mods labelling members as trolling.I have never seen a mod do so on this forum in the past.I think bye and large they are very decent and let a lot of stuff go.If they did not want discussion in the off topic section they would simply remove the whole section.But contrary to what an "ex mod" said on this thread the off topic section is very popular.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

There's more to the off topic section than politics. But its the politics that cause the most turmoil or controversy. Nothing wrong with controversy but a few of the kiddies just can't get beyond the name calling. And yes, there are one or two members here who offer very little to the hunting/fishing forums and show up just to get their rocks off and stir the pot. Its gets right back to following the rules of this corporate forum.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 410001661 View Post
    I am making a suggestion for the mod's.

Maybe we should have something in place that prevents one from posting in the off topic section until they reach a threshold of posts in relevant areas of hunting, fishing, trapping, or firearms. I notice that there are a number of members that exclusively post in the off topic section and do not contribute to the overall health of the forum by offering any sustenance in topics such as fishing, hunting, trapping, or firearm knowledge.

We need to understand that this is first and foremost a hunting, fishing, and trapping forum. There are plenty of other forums that cater to politics and fringe issues.
    It doesn't strike me as very democratic to force Forum members to participate in various threads before others. You're all part of the community, and can participate where you choose to. You can also ignore a thread, if you choose. No one is forcing anyone to read page-after-page of debate. It's not as though a giant notification bar pops up, forcing you to engage. If you don't dig the off-topic, don't go there. If someone chooses to use the Forum for places to hunt or fish, that's fine. If someone uses the Forum to sell, that's fine, too. This is a community, and people get different things out of it. We welcome the diversity. It's your journey, folks.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I agree strongly with your view Meg. Although the majority of members here are conservative voters, it is not a conservative website. All points of view have equal value, as they are only personal opinions .
    Last edited by fishermccann; October 19th, 2020 at 09:00 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishermccann View Post
    I agree strongly with your view Meg. Although the majority of members here are conservative voters, it is not a conservative website. All points of view have equal value, as they are only personal opinions .
    100% agree with this and members on here should not be dictated to by others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast