Thread: Best line to recommend

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Default Best line to recommend

A little frustrated with trying to figure out the best line to use for spinning reel casting. I've used the red Trilene XL for probably 30 years and wanted to try using something new. I like Fireline for trolling, esp with the low stretch and better sensitivity, but I don't find it that great for casting, especially once it gets used and develops the surface "rubbed" texture. Doesn't give you long casts like mono.
    Decided to try florocarbon and have been totally disappointed. The Berkley Vanish in 10lb was absolutely terrible - bad memory, kinks, and come off in stiff coils. Non-stop birds nests. Every second word out of my mouth rhymed with "truck" when I tried using it. Then I tried Suffix in 10 lb and it was even worse. Same thing - bad memory, comes off in coils, non-stop nests. It's not a spooling issue - I direct wind it to spool it onto the reel with a pencil inserted into the spook wheel (spool spins to load the reel).

Reluctant to try anything else due to the cost involved. What brand line does everyone like for spinning - nice long casts, good sensitivity, good abrasion resistance, and no memory/stiffness problems? Will the braids cast well with a spinning reel?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Its like truck tires where one tire will not meet all needs. If your priority is casting distance then you might just have to sacrifice sensitivity or lb test. I don't know why you are having so much trouble spooling your line but it sounds like part of the trouble is you may be piling too much on your spool and this is why it comes off in coils. One possible fix is to get the boat up to speed and let your line run off the spool without any terminal tackle. Then retrieve it. This should start to take out any twist and reduce the coils coming off.
    I fish a lot and have not experienced this problem to the extent you are facing. I rarely look at a name brand anymore when buying line because like washing machines, there's only a few line manufacturers out there just labelling for different companies. But I've learned to cast for distance by getting my lure higher up and let the wind take it.
    I do like braid for a number of reasons but there's a lot I don't like about it. If I really want to use it then I accept that I'll have to respool in the following season for the issues you've mentioned, color fading and abrasions. As for mono, Stren, Berkley, Trilene, one doesn't seem any better than the other to me.
    Last edited by sawbill; October 22nd, 2020 at 10:23 AM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I myself use 30lb fireline with a 15lb fluorocarbon leader on all my spinning reels and have no complaints with it and come winter time it's 10lb trilene on my reels. Just my 2 cents
    OFAH Member since 88.
    Gun control is a partnership between liberals and criminals.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I just use the Line on the huge spool at the store....thing is when they put the line onto my reel's spool it comes stright across. By that I mean both spool face the same way and turn the same way.

You may be having trouble because the line is going on your reel with a left hand twist, but line on the store bought spool has a right hand twist.

The line coming down the rod guides should form loops that are the same direction as your reel puts the line on. If it is the opposite direction then you need to do what sawbill says. That will allow the line to untwist and remove any tension.

It's like whining up a extension cord. If you start at the free end and whine towards the end still in the wall the cord will twist and kink as you whined. If you pull the end out the wall then it will spin and not twist or kink.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Snowwalker;1128007]I just use the Line on the huge spool at the store....thing is when they put the line onto my reel's spool it comes stright across. By that I mean both spool face the same way and turn the same way.

This! I was always taught to do it this way.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I'm sure it's not a spooling issue as I'm doing it the same way as I've done for 50 years, with no prior issues. I always make sure the new line is coming off the spool counter clockwise (reel is winding it on clockwise). I fill the reel till there's still at least 1/8" of the spool lip left, so I'm not overfilling it. It's the line that's NFG. If all florocarbon does this then I'm going to stay clear of it!

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Iím no expert, like you, I tried all kinds of fishing lines but I always go back to Trilene XL. Why change what works.

"Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

30 years ago I would only use Trimax, but they stopped making it. Since then I have tried them all. No use for the floros at all.
    For the last 20 years, all my reels are spooled with Siglon V. Smallest diameter per pound test and lasts forever. A great line for steelheading.

TS

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

My favorite mono was the Abu Garcia brown Royal Bonelle back in the early eighties. Fantastic line. A shame it's no longer made.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I use 30lb big game for my trolling reels. I use 10lb big games for spinning rods I jig or use topwater poppers etc. I love fire line for bottom bouncing or normal casting. As mentioned... no one line for all. If you jig or use topwaters, fireline tangles because it doesnt spool properly. I rarely replace fireline. It lasts years. I replace mono minimum Every year and often a couple times a year.