Thread: Wmu 40 update

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Wmu 40 update

Well we had plans to go visit the in-laws up in Sudbury. My FIL had a stroke back in May and luckily it was light in nature, but it has taken its toll on his mobility. He’s been house bound since the stroke and mildly depressed. So when I called and asked if he was up for a drive in the bush for some grouse, he was ecstatic. I packed for the both of us and my son who joined in on the fun.

So after work Friday we packed up the truck and were off. I drove through the tornado warning, albeit at 20kmh and with my 4 ways on. Then just rain and dropping temps. I left Newmarket in a t-shirt but arrived in Sudbury in a parka. 2 degrees felt super cold after the nice day we had down south.

Saturday up at 6, coffee made, oatmeal for breakfast to keep us full for the drive up. The 144 was nice up until 30km before the watershed. Then the road was iced over with a covering of snow. Once we tanked up, as a precaution, we went down the highway to our lucky bush road.

The road was covered in 2 inches of snow and so was the bush. I think the weather system really messed with the birds because we only managed one.

We stopped for a nice lunch and a whiskey jack joined us. Not many others out there. Only saw 3 other vehicles. Surprisingly a lot of moose camps were packed up and gone. Also managed to see an unmarked black f150 with a CO checking a couple guys on atv’s.

On our drive back we saw 5 grouse on the 144. That’s the way it goes sometimes. We came home, cleaned up, had dinner and enjoyed a nice drink (my son just had ice cream) At 8 years old he had a blast with his dad and grandpa.

Apparently it’s been raining all week here, so my FIL says the birds probably went into the thick stuff for cover. I guess we need a few days of nice weather to get things moving. It was just nice to get him out and be in the bush.

He may be mobility challenged but his humour is still there. He told me if he suffers a stroke while in the bush, don’t bother trying to race him to a hospital, just sit him down in the bush behind a rock with his single shot .410. My wife might not agree with that one so much.

8EE79340-296A-4DA0-A3A6-E3C34E2EB589.jpg47A18246-60CC-4A73-9CE3-DFB3EEE0D699.jpeg0C99D584-2F0D-4761-A1A0-1E9425FC14C2.jpg401220BB-3DB6-4527-AD07-FEFD85415AE8.jpg2186E99A-92B7-48F8-BD7D-3B81F202BD24.jpeg

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Whatever the hell that's in that mason jar looks like it's gonna give the average man some really bad gas!

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Lol. I make pickled eggplant every fall. Average or not, It gives everyone gas. Haha

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Glad you got a chance to get out with you son and FIL.... Sounds like he enjoyed very much.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Good family trip. What's that stove?
    "The dog is Small Munsterlander, the gun is Beretta."
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" A. Saint-Exupery.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Firebox gen2

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Good for you to take the fil out. Looks like a great day.
    The good old watershed, haha, I stop there for a coffee almost daily on my way to work.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.