Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sighting in slug gun

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Default Sighting in slug gun

It is that time again. Sighting in the slug gun.

I took the slug gun out to the range this AM to see how it was shooting for Monday's controlled hunt. I packed up my range bag, gun rest, range finder, 3 boxes of sabots and some extra padding for shoulder. The scope stays on the bbl and is only used for the controlled hunt so I was cautiously optimistic that I would not need all 15 sabots to get a zero as it was right on last season. I set everything up and sent the first target downrange and stopped it at exactly 50rds. I checked out the Nikon Spot on app and I want my gun to be zero'd at 100yds while shooting a 50yd target. So I needed to be 0.9" (+/- one inch high at 50yds) to be zero at 100yds.

Ballistic Table

0 yds -1.5"
    25yds 0.1"
    50yds 0.9"
    75yds 1.0"
    100rds 0
    125yds -2.2
    150yds -5.7

I sent the first sabot downrange and checked the spotting scope - it looked OK. As I retrieve the target I smile and nod and then start packing up. My windage was out a tad (3/4" to the right) and it could have been me pulling a shot a tad or just the variance of shooting a sabot but I was not going to shoot another 7-8 shots to chase a zero. Now I just need to clean the bbl and I'm ready to go.

Good luck to everyone! Be safe and shoot straight.

Gun:
    Beretta 391 with rifled slug bbl
    Bushnell Trophy XLT 1.75-4 x 32mm Circle X
    Ammo:
    Remington AccuTips
    2-3/4"
    1850 FPS
    385 Grains
    Beretta 391

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I took 1 shot with my wife's gun to "verify" it a couple weeks back too, nice when the first one hits exactly where you want it to.

I wanted to ask though, have you shot it at 100 yards or further? The sight height, actual muzzle velocity and true ballistic coefficient can make your gun shoot a lot differently than what the box says.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I took 1 shot with my wife's gun to "verify" it a couple weeks back too, nice when the first one hits exactly where you want it to.

I wanted to ask though, have you shot it at 100 yards or further? The sight height, actual muzzle velocity and true ballistic coefficient can make your gun shoot a lot differently than what the box says.
    Fox - Absolutely and that is a good point. Ballistic tables are what I would call white board logic - what 'should' happen at 100yds is this. For those of us that grew up watching the Road Runner we often see that sometimes the best planning and data does not always product the outcomes we want - LOL.

Last year I zero'd it on the indoor 50yrd range as well and it was hitting the same as it did today and at 100yds I was within 1.5" of zero - shot off a shooting bench across a pond into a berm. That could be a variety of variables that would cause that (including user error). Even at 100yds I am more than happy with 1.5" deviation of my 100yd zero. I am going for a snack, coffee & beer run on Friday and will be at the farm to stock the fridge and will take another 100yd poke to verify I am getting the same results as last year.

By buddy did the same on his 1100 and the tables are nuts on up to 100yds but he needed to add an 1.5" on top of the tables for every 25yds after that.

Good luck and be safe!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 410001661 View Post
    Fox - Absolutely and that is a good point. Ballistic tables are what I would call white board logic - what 'should' happen at 100yds is this. For those of us that grew up watching the Road Runner we often see that sometimes the best planning and data does not always product the outcomes we want - LOL.

Last year I zero'd it on the indoor 50yrd range as well and it was hitting the same as it did today and at 100yds I was within 1.5" of zero - shot off a shooting bench across a pond into a berm. That could be a variety of variables that would cause that (including user error). Even at 100yds I am more than happy with 1.5" deviation of my 100yd zero. I am going for a snack, coffee & beer run on Friday and will be at the farm to stock the fridge and will take another 100yd poke to verify I am getting the same results as last year.

By buddy did the same on his 1100 and the tables are nuts on up to 100yds but he needed to add an 1.5" on top of the tables for every 25yds after that.

Good luck and be safe!
    There is so much variability it is crazy. I reload and now I have a chronograph, the factory ammo is generally all over the map for consistency, I mean, 250fps variation. What I like to do is to get the actual velocity, use the specs of my rifle, with sight height included, and the book BC numbers to build a table, then go out and shoot to verify. I have not yet been able to verify 3 and 400 yards with this deer rifle I want but I know that most average factory ammo is all over the map for consistency and will almost never match the velocity that your gun shoots. Some guns shoot faster than the factory specs but most are slower.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Going to be a big test on my shotgun today or tomorrow when ever I can do it.
    I had marked on the rail where the scope sits and removed it so I could put the smooth bore on for other hunting.

Now I have put it back on and will test, hopefully it is still on. The idea worked good on my buddies shotgun last year and I took my deer with his gun.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

There is so much variability it is crazy. I reload and now I have a chronograph, the factory ammo is generally all over the map for consistency, I mean, 250fps variation. What I like to do is to get the actual velocity, use the specs of my rifle, with sight height included, and the book BC numbers to build a table, then go out and shoot to verify. I have not yet been able to verify 3 and 400 yards with this deer rifle I want but I know that most average factory ammo is all over the map for consistency and will almost never match the velocity that your gun shoots. Some guns shoot faster than the factory specs but most are slower.
    Do you re-load sabots or just rifle bullets? I re-load target loads (AA Hulls and #7.5 shot) over the winter and twice a year I take my 9mm to buddies place and re-load when his press it set up for 9mm but do not re-load anything that requires any kind of accuracy.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Do you re-load sabots or just rifle bullets? I re-load target loads (AA Hulls and #7.5 shot) over the winter and twice a year I take my 9mm to buddies place and re-load when his press it set up for 9mm but do not re-load anything that requires any kind of accuracy.
    Just rifle and used to load shotgun with shot when I was a teen and shot a lot more. I reloaded rifle when I was 15 to 19, then took some time off for until I bought my own house and was not in a rental anymore, plus moved to a place that I can shoot. I have not loaded for pistols yet because I have no need to but will when the time comes.

I like to play, if I were hunting in a shotgun only zone I would figure out how to load sabot slugs but now I moved to a rifle area and if I hunt the controlled hunt I can use the muzzle loader too.

The coolest part is loading something that you cannot buy, 44 Webley is one, 6.5x55mm with high end bullets, that sort of thing, very rewarding.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Just rifle and used to load shotgun with shot when I was a teen and shot a lot more. I reloaded rifle when I was 15 to 19, then took some time off for until I bought my own house and was not in a rental anymore, plus moved to a place that I can shoot. I have not loaded for pistols yet because I have no need to but will when the time comes.

I like to play, if I were hunting in a shotgun only zone I would figure out how to load sabot slugs but now I moved to a rifle area and if I hunt the controlled hunt I can use the muzzle loader too.

The coolest part is loading something that you cannot buy, 44 Webley is one, 6.5x55mm with high end bullets, that sort of thing, very rewarding.
    Yes I can imagine. I was once a camera guy and loved the challenge of finding a lens for an old camera or parts for an enlarger that has not been made since the 1950's or 60's. I remember I was hanging out in Al Simmons and a couple of the regulars were trading bullets (5 or 10 at a time) like they were making a drug score!! Funny what happens when you get a gun with ammo that is unavailable.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Mold for .44 Russian traded two 8lb cannon. Ball for mold plus 16 pounds of lead think they look good

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yes I can imagine. I was once a camera guy and loved the challenge of finding a lens for an old camera or parts for an enlarger that has not been made since the 1950's or 60's. I remember I was hanging out in Al Simmons and a couple of the regulars were trading bullets (5 or 10 at a time) like they were making a drug score!! Funny what happens when you get a gun with ammo that is unavailable.
    Making a 130 year old gun bark again makes it all worth while

Loading for a rimfire is pretty cool too, just have not yet made the right load to have anything reasonable for anything more than plinking pop cans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast