Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Great Gas Rip-Off

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Whole poop! I only spend $40 to 80 for gas in a month for my Tacoma. Mud tires, plate bumper, winch, lifted with beefed up suspension for extra weight capacity, headache rack, storage draws the bed and a pile of recovery gear.
    Good one Snowwalkerreminds me of my former electrician who,when i asked how he was dealing with gas prices doubled over few years(this was early 2000 -or so) ,he gave me a smile and said-I am still putting 40 dollar gas in the tank a week..............never dwelling into how many km less he may travel

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I think its more likely the pump is correct and your can is not, to be honest. Have you checked capacity of the can?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    Good one Snowwalkerreminds me of my former electrician who,when i asked how he was dealing with gas prices doubled over few years(this was early 2000 -or so) ,he gave me a smile and said-I am still putting 40 dollar gas in the tank a week..............never dwelling into how many km less he may travel
    Well to be honest I do drive 4,000 to 5,000+ Kilometres a week. So 16.000 to 20,000 or more a month..
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Like the guy who brags about getting 400km on a tank of gas but fails to consider the size of his tank.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Pretty sure gas pumps are regularly calibrated to Measurement Canada standards. I'd be more likely to trust that than a low bidder jerry can.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Calibrated... I would say correct. Ripping us off.... let's see we've added more carbon taxes etc. So there is one rip off.

When you listen to the flow and it seems like usually a liter or so shows up on the guage but there seems to be no sound of liquid going in the tank, last couple times I filled the SUV than filled the can so it was accurate in the can. When someone is filling up their next can, start it and listen when the fuel shows up and note what the guage says if you fill the can first.

This one mentions cheating at Gas stations and talks about Chatham and Ridgetown... it suggest stopping at 10L to check the prices match
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ch...-the-gas-pump/
    It doesn’t matter where you pump gas, please check the 10 liter price. If you do find a station that is cheating, contact the MTO, and direct your comments to the Commissioner, the info is on the gas pumps.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/inacc...ians-1.1000792

We are being ripped off by the new taxes far more than some small discrepancies in measurement since it is across ALL pumps, accurate or not.
    Last edited by mosquito; November 2nd, 2020 at 11:33 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    Without using a proper verified liquid measure, not much one can say.

Poly cans are not built to a reliable spec, not to mention poly cans stretch significantly. I have a 25 liter can that will easily hold 30 liters due to the years of sitting in the sun with the vent shut.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    Yes, I have a couple of those 'bulgy', tanks as well.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Volume is corrected to 15'C ... that shouldn't have made that much of a difference, but it may explain some of the difference, if you filled on a cold day. The volume for instance at 5'C will always be a little smaller than at the pump, after they make that correction.

The pumps are meant to be calibrated to 15'C ... and yeah, I'm sure some gas stations take advantage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12