Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire extinguishers

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Fire extinguishers

My boat has a built in gas tank, therefore I am required to carry a useable fire extinguisher on board. My problem: they don't hold their pressure indefinitely. My question: Where can I get it recharged? I've asked around and got several blank looks and no real suggestions. The "best advice" so far came from the marina, go out and buy a new one, it'll probably be the same money (or less) than getting the old one recharged.
    So that is what I have done.
    Any hints would be appreciated, or should I just take the old one to the Household Hazardous Waste disposal and be done with it?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Praxair maybe

Member for Life

User Info Menu

There's an old saying out there? "Google is your friend". I just did it for Hamilton and a whole list of business's popped up?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I don't think its worth it to recharge anything less than a 20 lb extinguisher, they throw them away by the hundreds (10lb) where I used to work.

Most fire protection companies recharge them or have somebody who will.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I'm with "all of the above". If ever (God forbid) you have to use one it better damn well work ! My car caught on fire and those small ones only slowed it down , get as big as you can or better get two and keep them in a readily accessible place onboard. I might suggest near the bow as most likely it will be an engine fire. I suggest two extinguishers because after the firemen ripped open the hood of my car and flooded it with foam putting out the fire the engine tried to start because of melted wires got crossed and it burst into flames again !
    Good Luck & Good Hunting !

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longpointer View Post
    I'm with "all of the above". If ever (God forbid) you have to use one it better damn well work ! My car caught on fire and those small ones only slowed it down , get as big as you can or better get two and keep them in a readily accessible place onboard. I might suggest near the bow as most likely it will be an engine fire. I suggest two extinguishers because after the firemen ripped open the hood of my car and flooded it with foam putting out the fire the engine tried to start because of melted wires got crossed and it burst into flames again !
    If my truck caught fire the last thing I would want to do is put it out before it becomes a write off......kind of just stop the fire from spreading.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

No Insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by 410001661 View Post
    If my truck caught fire the last thing I would want to do is put it out before it becomes a write off......kind of just stop the fire from spreading.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dull Hooks View Post
    My boat has a built in gas tank, therefore I am required to carry a useable fire extinguisher on board. My problem: they don't hold their pressure indefinitely. My question: Where can I get it recharged? I've asked around and got several blank looks and no real suggestions. The "best advice" so far came from the marina, go out and buy a new one, it'll probably be the same money (or less) than getting the old one recharged.
    So that is what I have done.
    Any hints would be appreciated, or should I just take the old one to the Household Hazardous Waste disposal and be done with it?
    Most service stores will charge $30 to recharge. 2lb extinguishers can be found at Can Tire for $29,so,for the same money,you get a brand new one that you know will work. Been there,done that,so,just a word to the wise. If you have a fire onboard that can't be quickly extinguished with a 2lb'er,get over the side asap and let it burn. That's why we buy insurance.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

BWT

Just wanted to add that in recent years there has been massive recalls on certain well known fire extinguisher's. I took a couple back from the cabin about a year ago and after one phone call giving the model number, I ended up with two brand new one's at my door a few day's later.

Just goggle fire extinguisher's and re calls and up they pop.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    No Insurance?
    Yes I do......and that is why I would let it burn. Same with my boat.
    Last edited by 410001661; February 2nd, 2021 at 05:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast