Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground Blind

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Ground Blind

Hello, I'm new to bow hunting, though I have been rifle hunting for a few years. I'm looking to extend the season.
    I usually hunt from a ground blind or tree stand. I have an ameristep blind which has mesh over the window openings. I know I can shoot a rifle through the mesh, I'm wondering if I can also shoot a crossbow through the mesh or do I have to open it up to get a clear shot? I have a cheap setup, carbon express bow, 370fps and pile driver bolts with 125 grain broadheads.
    Thanks for any advice

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I personally do not shoot through the mesh because I do not want it to effect the flight by either knocking it off course, or having the mechanical broadhead open up in flight. Curious what the other guys/gals do.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I primarily hunt put of ground blinds when sitting. I would shoot through the screen with fixed blade heads at a very short distance as arrow flight would be minimally impacted however anything over 10 yards i would never send an arrow through the mesh.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I have nearly the same setup but shoot blood sport with muzzy 100 grain. I read all the reviews with the shoot through mess being archery safe. I had a buck at 20 yards and let the bolt fly. Mesh cause my shot to redirect almost 12 inches off target. Buck ended with only a haircut and a none life threatening cut thankfully. I will never attempt that again.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I found the photo of the exit on the screen. I'm not sure if the mesh was not tight enough or the bottom fletching caught.Screenshot_20201121-101649_Gallery.jpg

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice. My blind is 10 yds downwind of a busy trail to/from the bait pile. I guess I'll open the mesh then sit back a bit farther and hope they dont see me.
    Now I just need a good dump of snow to bury all the natural food sources.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I have shot several deer through the mesh never had a problem.
    Mostly at about 20-25 yards.
    I am using fixed blades ,not sure about mechanicals .

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUDGE View Post
    I have shot several deer through the mesh never had a problem.
    Mostly at about 20-25 yards.
    I am using fixed blades ,not sure about mechanicals .
    Ditto ^^^ (one more reason not to trust a mechanical when there are options)

In looking at a passed thru mesh hole after, it's clean no ragged edges. Think about it...it's a razor blade hitting a plastic screen point blank at 350+ fps...virtually no resistance.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Shot 1 at approximately 30 yards through the mesh with Excalibur 100grain bolt cutters and it didn't seem to affect the arrow flight at all.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Personally have never tried shooting through mesh. Something about having the potential for your arrow to be deflected, even minimally, doesn't sit well with me. Archery is difficult enough on it's own given other variables (wind, moving target, etc). Don't need anything else to reduce your chances to put a good/ethical shot on an animal. Just not worth it for me. I would rather have a small shooting window (most blinds have adjustable openings) then shoot through the mesh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast