Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ground Blind

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Ground Blind

I’ve never had problem crossbow shooting thru mesh we always keep mesh from wrecked wore out soft blind to put in wood blinds

If worried about it setup your blind and practice shoot a target bag
    Last edited by js4fn; February 26th, 2021 at 12:16 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dms View Post
    Thanks for the advice. My blind is 10 yds downwind of a busy trail to/from the bait pile. I guess I'll open the mesh then sit back a bit farther and hope they dont see me.
    Now I just need a good dump of snow to bury all the natural food sources.
    wearing black when you get to the blind is a good idea and sitting back so the sun doesn't give your silhouette out good luck

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I've never shot thru the mesh, but here's what i do to my blinds, I paint the widow covers black on the outside, that way the blind will always look the same with the windows open or closed

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dms View Post
    Hello, I'm new to bow hunting, though I have been rifle hunting for a few years. I'm looking to extend the season.
    I usually hunt from a ground blind or tree stand. I have an ameristep blind which has mesh over the window openings. I know I can shoot a rifle through the mesh, I'm wondering if I can also shoot a crossbow through the mesh or do I have to open it up to get a clear shot? I have a cheap setup, carbon express bow, 370fps and pile driver bolts with 125 grain broadheads.
    Thanks for any advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowjob View Post
    wearing black when you get to the blind is a good idea and sitting back so the sun doesn't give your silhouette out good luck
    Bowjob nailed it. I would add to wear a mask and gloves while inside. I walked up on a buddy in his ground blind and the very first thing I noticed was how bright his face and hands were even while sitting well back from the window. If I could see it 40 yds. away,animals could see it a lot farther off.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Bowjob nailed it. I would add to wear a mask and gloves while inside. I walked up on a buddy in his ground blind and the very first thing I noticed was how bright his face and hands were even while sitting well back from the window. If I could see it 40 yds. away,animals could see it a lot farther off.
    yup, last year i ended up buying a white hunting parka jacket on sale so i ended up sitting in the bush and made a blind out of stuff around me and a burlap, good thing is snowed heavy for the controlled shotgun hunt blended in just fine like that as well :P

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Any of you guys shoot a compound out of a pop up? I bought one but haven't tried it in the field, with a 30" draw I have to sit in a corner to keep clearance in front of a broadhead.

I like the idea of wearing black inside since I'd probably have to keep the windows wide open to keep from interfering with my bow at full draw.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I use my ground blind on a raised platform as my secondary location. Any shots I have would be under 20 yards. Have yet to pull the trigger from that location. My two windows to 10-2 o’clock I leave the mesh. The main front window open. At 10-15 yards I want the screen to help hide movement. I have been busted by that more times than I care to admit. If they make it to the large window in front it’s 10-15 yards and I’m already set and just waiting.

Shot a buck a couple years ago through the mesh right at very last light. It was a 20 yard shot. The lit knock made it very obvious the mesh changed its course slightly. It still bedded down about 40 yards away. Had it been a 30-40 yard shot, I’m guessing a wounded lost buck.

Lesson learned.

That was with a 150g broad head.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dean.f View Post
    Any of you guys shoot a compound out of a pop up? I bought one but haven't tried it in the field, with a 30" draw I have to sit in a corner to keep clearance in front of a broadhead.

I like the idea of wearing black inside since I'd probably have to keep the windows wide open to keep from interfering with my bow at full draw.
    No problem with my compound. I've taken deer and bear out of the blind with it. I use a fold up camping chair with the left arm cut off for the bow hunt. I usually sit with my back in the far corner giving me easy drawing for shots out of 2 sides of the blind.

My recurve is a bit more complicated, I have to draw facing the ground then lift the bow, gave up on it due to movement. Longbow, no chance.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12