Thread: When turkeys wreck your deer hunt

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default When turkeys wreck your deer hunt

I was out in the climber last night for what was suppose to be a nice relaxing bow hunt in my comfy stand.

I had between 50-60 turkeys come from the field to my left (east) and cross into my field and picked & fed for about 1 hour slowly making their way towards me. The group split in half and half stayed in the field and half jumped the creek and leaded to the field to my right (west) where my buddy was sitting. It was 5:10 and they were still in the field so I stood up and had my bow in hand and I was watching the creek bank behind me. Then I heard one fly my way and I looked over my shoulder and there was a single kamikaze turkey that took flight in the west field and just barely cleared the tops of the trees by the creek and it was coming right at me. It tried to land in the dead Elm tree in front of my but the branches kept breaking and finally jumped to the tree I was in (knocking all kinds of crap down on me) - graceful bastards!!

No sooner did he get settled in his roost and I turned back to the creek bank looking for a deer to make his debut when I heard a hell of a racket and turned back to see about 15-20 turkeys flying up to roost in the trees all around me - at one point I had my arms over my head because of all the branches and crap that was falling on me. Some saw me and buggered off again but the ones that stayed were not happy and were making one hell of a racket. I figured my hunt was done and so I decided to packed 'er up and head to the Chalet for a cold beer with the boys.

Had them do something like this before but I never had 4 birds roost in the same tree I was sitting in and I had easily 15-20 birds within 20yrs. I hope they stick around till April because I am going to shoot one in the face out of spite - LOL.

https://i.imgur.com/1TckKnf.mp4

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

lol. What a hunting experience. Good way to add colour to your camo pattern. Haha
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Cool experience. I’m sure that your typical bird watcher can’t top that!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Looks like that's where all my turkeys went during the spring season lol, I didn't see a damn thing!
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

ha! yup happens to me at my place alot. turkeys during deer season and deer during turkey. walking right beside my blind and making a stink, letting every creature in the woods know that somethings not right. :P

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Gentlemen, feel free to share your problems with me
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Amazing video! Not to many people have experienced that. Thanks for sharing.
    Paul

Just starting out

User Info Menu

What are the chances of that!? Great story, once in a lifetime.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Great story! Sorry for your misfortune! I've had them clean my bait out but never attempt to roost with me.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

thats awesome, usually when i see turkeys the deer come to say hi to them LOL.

couple times ive had decoys out and they come right up to them and lick them haha