Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obituary for poor old Tom.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Obituary for poor old Tom.

Headed out around 1:30 yesterday for probably the hottest day I have hunted in years, at +26 it was sure warm in the pop-up. At least in the bush there was some shade and a good breeze.

I had hunted this Tom a few days back, but he approached my Hen decoy from an unexpected angle and got her between us. Then he hung up at about 35 yrds out and never gave me a 'good' shot. I'm using my Black Power ML and the pattern starts to spread out at 25 yrds so I like to get them in close. Anyway we had a good time playing for over an hour; he would back away then I would 'cluck' a few and he'd come back but he refused to close the gap. I never got busted, and he finally walked away.

Yesterday's hunt was a mirror image of the 2017 hunt. Set up a lone Hen decoy and just clucked every 10-15 minutes. No sign of any turkey activity in the bush, usually the hens are about. I was about an hr later that I got a glimpse of him coming a running thru the trees. Game on. Put down the book and shoulder the ML.

He approached perfectly, headed straight to the decoy. Crossed in front of me at about 15 yds, stopped, stuck out his neck and gave his last 'gobble'. Home, cleaned and in the freezer by 5:00..the perfect hunt.

Tom back in early May...

The tech;

Traditions 12 ga ML
    85 gr T7
    1 1/8th oz of #5 shot

And the view from both angles of the kill zone.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Congrats Mike, seems you and that devil had a little feud to settle....with a muzzle loader no less....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Well done!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Excellent story. Congrats.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nice, like the stories and pic that go with it

Congrats on the ML success
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Perfect ending to a perfect season. Well done Mike.... Living these hunts through you guys. Any spare time I've had, I've spent getting these mutts of mine dialed in and in shape...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Excellent harvest. It's nice when it all comes together. I only use one hen decoy too. Works like a charm,,,,lol

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeyjohn View Post
    Congrats Mike, seems you and that devil had a little feud to settle....with a muzzle loader no less....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks John...the first time we crossed paths was probably the best hunt I have had in years, some hens got involved and were trying to draw him away. So I'd let him go for a bit, then give a couple clucks and he'd turn back. It was great fun to see him trying to make up his mind, but there something about my decoy he didn't like .
    Last edited by MikePal; May 25th, 2018 at 10:59 AM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice bird congrats
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Congrats and especially with a ML!
    Rod Embree
    KMG Hunting Safaris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast